Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best USB Creator Tool For Kubuntu 18.04 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are half-a-dozen good USB burning tools that don't allow for creating persistent LiveUSB's.

What ever USB burning tool the KDE / Neon devs include in their release -- IF it does not allow creating a persistent LiveUSB then it is, IMO, a waste of time.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
      I don't think Etcher offers the persistent storage option

https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues/413
      The OP didn't ask for that option.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I made the same mistake. Maybe there's too many concurrent threads or the same/similar topic.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

yes ,yes he did ,,https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post413053

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            I made the same mistake. Maybe there's too many concurrent threads or the same/similar topic.
            Honestly, "persistence" is a hack - or at least hack-ish IMO.

If you want to run a distro from a USB stick, then install it using the normal process. It will work faster and have much more flexibility. Besides, you can install multiple distros to a single stick by partitioning it. I have created a bootable USB stick with GRUB on it, three partitions that each had a distro, and 4 bootable ISOs as well. It's not rocket science.

If you really want persistence, best to use a tool that supports it or learn how to add it after (yes, you can do that, but it's not trivial).

I suppose one could make a case for having the bootable ISO image is preferable for portability than an installed version due to drivers, etc. I suspect you could use dd to install the ISO to a partition on a USB stick that is bootable, add it to you USB's grub, and use a partition on the stick for data.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you really want persistence, best to use a tool that supports it
              he was given one of those as well

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Honestly, "persistence" is a hack - or at least hack-ish IMO.

If you want to run a distro from a USB stick, then install it using the normal process. It will work faster and have much more flexibility. Besides, you can install multiple distros to a single stick by partitioning it. I have created a bootable USB stick with GRUB on it, three partitions that each had a distro, and 4 bootable ISOs as well. It's not rocket science.
                As I understand it, IF you install an ISO to a USB stick in the normal install manner, then you are committing that stick to run ONLY on the hardware that you are installing it on; that display chip, that wifi, that sound, etc... Installed as a bootable ISO guarantees (for most everyone on every machine) that it will boot and give you a workable desktop.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GG: As I understand it, IF you install an ISO to a USB stick in the normal install manner, then you are committing that stick to run ONLY on the hardware that you are installing it on;
                  That certainly makes sense.

One thing I have done is to make the bootable stick using the dd command, not persistent. During a booted live session, if I had something I needed to save, I wrote it to a second flash drive plugged into the computer I was running the live USB on. A little clumsy. Of course, the issue of saving app settings/configuration is another matter. If you use dd, I'm not sure you can write the bootable OS to one partition, leaving a second data partition open for use. Haven't thought about that lately.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you want to run a distro from a USB stick, then install it using the normal process. It will work faster and have much more flexibility.
                    Won't it be set up for the computer it is installed on, and give problems booting different hardware? I've wondered about this before.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      That certainly makes sense.

One thing I have done is to make the bootable stick using the dd command, not persistent. During a booted live session, if I had something I needed to save, I wrote it to a second flash drive plugged into the computer I was running the live USB on. A little clumsy. Of course, the issue of saving app settings/configuration is another matter. If you use dd, I'm not sure you can write the bootable OS to one partition, leaving a second data partition open for use. Haven't thought about that lately.
                      There is a manual way of creating a persistent LiveUSB using dd and it involves creating a casper-rw partition, or file.
                      http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/ins...t-live-cd.html

Comment

a) eliminate any personal stuff on your os so that home is not pointing to some external thing...

in other words... create your thing and save it as an .iso. without any personal stuff on it...

b) get any usb stick that does not have a built in suckware in it
                        c) stick it into your linux based computer that has your ,iso on it.
                        c) format it to [url]ext 3 or ext 4[/url=https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/05/Ext2-Ext3-Ext4/]
                        d) save your .iso to it.
                        e) "safely remove" your usb
                        f) tell the target audience to do whatever ctrl alt delete codes they need to enable "boot from usb".
                        g) you, they stick the usb in and it goes..

whether you can actually save your wonderful work to the hard drive depends on what the other guys gave you.

wood, this is not a big deal, just DO it smoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I carry a persistent LiveUSB of KDE Neon around with me in my watch pocket all the time, just for emergencies.
                          Nine times out of ten when I visit someone sooner or later they mention a computer problem. The LiveUSB comes in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            I carry a persistent LiveUSB of KDE Neon around with me in my watch pocket all the time, just for emergencies.
                            Nine times out of ten when I visit someone sooner or later they mention a computer problem. The LiveUSB comes in handy.
                            ummmm

because you are OLDER THAN DIRT ...YOU..."plan ahead"...

DO NOT ASSUME THAT others actually...plan ahead...

when the education system SAYS..."plan ahead"...

and then...

going from the sixth grade to the seventh grade...

OH FORGET ALL THAT...you do not need to "color in the lines" like WE DEMANDED THAT YOU DO...for six years...just forget what we said

and believe us now that we POWER BROKERS... will not change the rules...again...

woodcaughondecadesagosmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                            X