X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behold that masterpiece - KDE4

I hope Plasma 6 will be as good.

We get it, you like KDE4. That's great. I like Teriyaki Chicken, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ice cream.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

johnny7,
      Sometimes ya gotta try new things, broaden your horizons, pick another subject ...
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Yes, KDE4 eventually became great. I still would nominate Kubuntu 14.10 as the best out-of-the-box distro I ever used. But it took a while. Longer than it took Plasma 5 to become usable.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny7 View Post
          I hope Plasma 6 will be as good.
          It will be even better. More power, more eye candy.

You apparently were not around when the change to KDE 4.0 occurred. The paradigm switch between developing in Qt3 and Qt4 gave the developers a better framework to enable changes more quickly, so they were trying lots of stuff and letting users sort out what they liked the most. As is the case in situations like this, the grumblers took to using echo chambers with megaphones to air their grips. Very, very few of them bothered to submit bug reports or even suggest improvements in a civil manner. Some developers and folks who were just volunteering their time grew tired of the verbal assaults and quit. But development persisted and KDE4 became good. That same turbulence occurred when Plasma5 was initially released, but it is (for me) rock solid and beautiful. Of course, I have no clue as to your Qt-fu skills so I don't know how plasma5 is running for you. Remember, it is a poor workman who blames his tools.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 03, 2018, 12:39 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There were plenty of KDE3 holdouts when KDE4 came out. All the hair-pulling and wrist-wringing gets old after a while. As long as I've lived, I still don't understand the human nature to resist change, even to our own detriment. I usually view change as refreshing and a growth experience.

Please Read Me

Comment

It used to be my sig a long time ago, and I've see it is your sig, oshunluver. Pope was right.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X