This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I managed to solve this. Detailed instructions are over here https://amitsealami.github.io/blog/p...vidia-optimus/ in my personal blog - but in short, I had to install using nomodeset, installed the nvidia drivers using ubuntu-drivers auto install, removed the nomodeset and now can use intel/nvidia graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by lordamit View Post
      Hi,
      I managed to solve this. Detailed instructions are over here https://amitsealami.github.io/blog/p...vidia-optimus/ in my personal blog - but in short, I had to install using nomodeset, installed the nvidia drivers using ubuntu-drivers auto install, removed the nomodeset and now can use intel/nvidia graphics.
      Excellent work!
      Would you mind posting your solution here, so that it will be around in case you drop your web page?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I most certainly will! Here it goes.

Here is what you gotta do.
        • When you insert the live usb, and it starts booting - before the Try/Install option shows up, frantically start pressing F6. Yeah, apparently a hidden keyboard action that allows you to switch to the text based options. You might see options such as check for defects, troubleshooting - etc.
        • Press F6 again, and a menu shows up. Enable nomodeset, and then go for start
        • It will hopefully start using basic graphical capabilities. You should be able to install now.
        • After installation is complete, do the usual routine of removing usb, reboot, view the grub
        • Check in the grub entry by pressing e and seeing whether the nomodeset is there or not. It should be there since you installed it using nomodeset
        • Continue and login. You will notice that the graphics is significantly lagging.
        • Open a terminal, update the package list by sudo apt update
        • Here comes the magically command. sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall.

This command will automatically install the required nvidia drivers.
        After this, you should reboot your computer, and you need to edit the grub to remove nomodeset permanently. So,
        • open terminal, sudo nano /etc/default/grub
        • there should be two lines like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.runpm=0" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nodemodeset"
          make it like:
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.runpm=0" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and save it
        • time to select your graphics driver. There are two options, Nvidia and intel. You should change to intel when you need to save power.
        • sudo prime-select intel
        • and you will see that it is remaking the initramfs image, rewriting the grub and other things.
        • reboot, and you will see that the lagging stopped. if you want to switch to your nvidia graphics, use
        • sudo prime-select nvidia, reboot. Using this is not recommended as it will significantly increase the battery consumption.

This should be all!

Comment

Working...
        X