X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu 18.04 64 bit gets stuck at Try Kubuntu

Hello All,

I am using Acer Nitro 5 Laptop (https://ryanscomputers.com/acer-nitr...-product-view2), which has intel graphics and Nvidia graphics. I have downloaded Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit using Torrent, set up a USB stick using the ISO and rebooted computer to go to the installation screen.
    Checking disk for defects yielded no errors.
    After I was presented the options

1. Try Kubuntu
    2. Install Kubuntu

If I select Try Kubuntu, it immadiately freezes. Nothing works. Except the hard power button of course.

If I select Install Kubuntu, it can proceed to the keyboard layout, conencitivity and other options. Understandably, I didn't complete this step. I did not want to take the risk of installing it considering the factor that it might freeze after installation and booting!

If this is relevant, I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit currently, and it works out of the box for my laptop. Installing the necessary drivers from device manager works well and does not require me to setup anything or modify any files.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help you understand why it is freezing. Thanks, and looking forward to installing Kubuntu 18.04 LTS ASAP.

First thing I would do is verify the USB against the checksum for the ISO. Go back to the Kubuntu download page and find the sha1sum checksum for the ISO you downloaded (make sure it the same date - they may have updated it since you downloaded it). Then run sha1sum against the downloaded ISO. Assuming they match, then run the sha1sum on your USB stick using this:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-a-thumb-drive

If they all match - at least you know it's not a bad download or USB image.

Please Read Me

Comment

The ISO yields
      a847c0db6716f02f5160003f14aaec49ff7f699e7aa77f5261 ac715e9b7a4d4c, which matches with the checksum provided at website. I used sha256sum btw, instead of the mentioned sha1sum.
      After I read the instructions, I used the following command:
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/sdb bs=4096 count=$(($(stat -c '%s' ~/Downloads/kubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso) / 4096)) | sha256sum
      The output was:
      Code:
      456064+0 records in
      456064+0 records out
      1868038144 bytes (1.9 GB, 1.7 GiB) copied, 78.9513 s, 23.7 MB/s
      a847c0db6716f02f5160003f14aaec49ff7f699e7aa77f5261ac715e9b7a4d4c  -
      It seems it is not a bad download or USB image.

Comment

Well, now you know your USB ISO is Ok.
        IF I read the specs of that Nitro5 correctly it comes with Free Dos installed, not Windows, which you overwrote with Mint. But, you want to try KDE.
        IF you don't want to overwrite your Mint installation an option is to use parted and peel back a 100GB or so to make a partition on which you can install Bionic in dual boot mode. If it works out you can leave it that way. If you decide to dump Kubuntu you can use parted to give that partition back to Mint. If you decide to dump Mint because you've proven that Kubuntu works well on your rig, you can reinstall it to the entire HD. IF you do that then I suggest using the manual mode, create a 10Gb swap partition, and give the rest to / with Btrfs as the root file system.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I actually already have both Windows and Linux mint 18.3 installed in dual mode. Additionally, I can not spare any drives for a seperate setup. Moreover, It seems like currently support for Primus laptops in 18.04 LTS series is not well enough based on this https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...stributions-/2
          I can wait fo r the next point release (18.04.01 or 18.04.02) to see how it goes.

Comment

You could always try and install it anyway to a partition without wiping Mint or installing grub over your current grub. The problem might not return from an updated installation.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by lordamit View Post
              Hello All,

I am using Acer Nitro 5 Laptop (https://ryanscomputers.com/acer-nitr...-product-view2), which has intel graphics and Nvidia graphics. I have downloaded Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit using Torrent, set up a USB stick using the ISO and rebooted computer to go to the installation screen.
              Checking disk for defects yielded no errors.
              After I was presented the options

1. Try Kubuntu
              2. Install Kubuntu

If I select Try Kubuntu, it immadiately freezes. Nothing works. Except the hard power button of course.

If I select Install Kubuntu, it can proceed to the keyboard layout, conencitivity and other options. Understandably, I didn't complete this step. I did not want to take the risk of installing it considering the factor that it might freeze after installation and booting!

If this is relevant, I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit currently, and it works out of the box for my laptop. Installing the necessary drivers from device manager works well and does not require me to setup anything or modify any files.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help you understand why it is freezing. Thanks, and looking forward to installing Kubuntu 18.04 LTS ASAP.
              had the same thing happen to me about 8 months ago on this laptop. I decided to try 3 different distros including a Win 7 disc all with the same result. Replaced the (failing) HDD, problem solved.

Comment

Just my short feedback for kubuntu 18.04.
                I wanted to try it on an old Intel Dual Core PC. Got stuck (see picture enclosed)

Windows 10 is working. Had no problems with Suse 42.1.
                Last edited by torb1; May 06, 2018, 08:08 AM. Reason: fixed Suse Release Number

Comment

Unfortunately there's nothing helpful in the pic, Did you use the correct architecture (32 vs 64 bit) and verify your burn was good?

Please Read Me

Comment

I downloaded the 64bit Version.
                    Verified the sha-256 checksum.
                    Burned it on DVD and installed it on USB with Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.8.
                    DVD and USB startup on "try kubuntu" with the same result.

Windows 10 64bit is currently installed. Before Windows 10 I had installed Suse 42.1 64bit on that system.

Edit: Same problem with Xubuntu 18.04 64bit.
                    Edit2: No problem with LMDE 2 mate 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by lordamit View Post
                      I actually already have both Windows and Linux mint 18.3 installed in dual mode. Additionally, I can not spare any drives for a seperate setup. Moreover, It seems like currently support for Primus laptops in 18.04 LTS series is not well enough based on this https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...stributions-/2
                      I can wait fo r the next point release (18.04.01 or 18.04.02) to see how it goes.
                      That was my experience with Kubuntu 18.04. During the after the initial install I was notified of proprietary device drivers and the NVidia 390 was offered as the recommended option. I accepted and the installation proceeded. When it was done the Nvidia config GUI was incomplete. After researching the problem I noticed that the installation didn't include the Bumblebee and Prime apps, I added them, 34 packages in all, and rebooted. That fixed the problem.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi,
                        I tried installing Kubuntu, and it installed fine in a new SDD.
                        However, now after I enter credentials - it freezes in a black screen with a logo.
                        I tried to switch to tty - didn't work. I tried switching to tty without entering password - didn't work and froze.

Comment

We have to start at the beginning. Did you checksum the ISO?

Comment

456064+0 records in
                            456064+0 records out
                            1868038144 bytes (1.9 GB, 1.7 GiB) copied, 68.0702 s, 27.4 MB/s
                            a847c0db6716f02f5160003f14aaec49ff7f699e7aa77f5261 ac715e9b7a4d4c -
                            Yes, never removed the ISO. But rechecked anyway.

Comment

If a reburn doesn't fix it then perhaps, for your hardware, there is a bug in the ISO.

Yesterday I read an article about how much faster "Clean Linux" (a distro) was over Ubuntu, and several other distros. I downloaded the 5.4Gb Live img and checksummed it. I used THEIR dd command to burn it to an 8GB USB stick. Took 1,042 seconds.
                              When I rebooted and selected it I saw the USB light flicker, but then my system booted. So, I tried a power down, 30 second pause to let capacitors drain, and then a power up. The lights flickered again, but my Neon started up. Bad burn?

Then I tried Etcher-electron to burn it and verify the burn.
                              Same problem. "mmmm ..." I thought, "maybe my USB stick is too small?".

I burned the img onto a 64GB USB stick using Etcher, which verified the burn, as it usually does.
                              From a cold boot I saw the USB stick light flicker and my Neon booted again.

At that point I'd wasted an hour. With my six year old MBR boot system it looks like Clean Linux isn't going to boot.

In your situation you've successfully installed it, but at the login screen it locks up when you either enter your credentials or try to use the keyboard to open a TTY. This suggests a video chip driver problem. Use the recovery option to log in as root with remounting your file system to change it from ro to rw. Log into your user account and see if "startx" or "startkde" gives you a working desktop.

If it doesn't then you can use lshw or lsmod to see what video driver is being used, and modifno for that driver to see what settable "parm" it has.

Comment

Working...
                              X