This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Keeps asking to be Default?

Why does Chrome keep asking to be Default even though it is set as Default in Settings?
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

You want it to be the default browser, and you have set it as such in Kubuntu's settings. Have you simply selected your acceptance in Chrome? Nothing bad will happen, and it might fix the annoyance. Why it would do that may be due to some inconsistency in how Chrome is integrated into KDE/Plasma. Just guessing.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Firefox kept doing that, I even asked Mozilla, they couldn't fix it either.
      I just turned off the check, and the snippets have stopped whining about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        You want it to be the default browser, and you have set it as such in Kubuntu's settings. Have you simply selected your acceptance in Chrome? Nothing bad will happen, and it might fix the annoyance. Why it would do that may be due to some inconsistency in how Chrome is integrated into KDE/Plasma. Just guessing.
        Yes, yes, yes. Yes, I agree, it is most likely something to do with KDE or Kubuntu. I think I've seen this in Windows too now that I think about it, let me look for a fix. Don't know why this is an issue with Chrome being such a huge market share Nothing but little glitches with Kubuntu for me!

Okay, it seems it was as simple as clicking on the X instead of the Set As Default button fixed it!

Wallet was giving me issues again also, so turned it off and seems okay now.

Desktop Effects also not the best: Fall Apart is just not right on this Distro. When I click on settings for instance it will fall apart, and then open...weird. My install is super clean and on a new HDD, all should be good as gold. Windows 7 is running on another partition like a champ.

Thanks guys

Comment

To check:
          Code:
          xdg-settings get default-web-browser
          To assign:
          Code:
          sudo xdg-settings set default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop
          Boot Info Script

Comment

I will look at that asap verndog, thanks!

Comment

Usually if you just close the question (rather than answering) using the X on the right it doesn't come back.

If that doesn't work, look into your Preferences file and find "default_browser" in it somewhere. It's under ~/.config/chrome/Default or "Default" might be your username.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, I just chose the X and it is gone, how silly of me! I'll look at that file to just for kicks.

Comment

Working...
                X