This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu General Consensus on Updating?

I have used the Updater GUI for years in Mint's KDE 17 series, and many others. When I first install a Distro I usually do 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' and let er rip. Then Activate the Firewall. But I am a total newb to Kubuntu as for having it installed like I do now.

On my new install I did as in the above. Now, my question is: Should I always use the Terminal or is Discover good enough, Synaptic?

And, should I use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after the sudo apt-get update? I've read and read up on it over the years but there is so much misinformation out there, and the official docs don't really make sense to the noob like me. It's my understanding that dist-upgrade just installs newer packages when upgrade won't, perhaps a safer way to just 'upgrade'

Thanks, Nasty
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Your system will be much better served using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. I NEVER use sudo apt-get upgrade.

Just open a konsole and type: man apt-get and review the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 13, 2019, 08:51 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I would just add that
      Code:
      sudo apt update
      sudo apt full-upgrade
      are newer, slightly friendlier, equivalents of the apt-get commands. The first tells you how many packages can be updated, and the second colours its output, with a less potentially confusing name.

Using the CLI for these shouldn't be necessary, but work much better when there's a problem, or some install script wants input.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Your system will be much better served using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. I NEVER use sudo apt-get upgrade.

Just open a konsole and type: man apt-get and review the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade.
        I looked at man apt-get again like you suggested and dist-upgrade seems to make more sense to me now then it did years ago...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          I would just add that
          Code:
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt full-upgrade
          are newer, slightly friendlier, equivalents of the apt-get commands. The first tells you how many packages can be updated, and the second colours its output, with a less potentially confusing name.

Using the CLI for these shouldn't be necessary, but work much better when there's a problem, or some install script wants input.

Regards, John Little
          Thanks, I was reading up on apt vs. apt-get today. I will need to revisit it later tot be more clear on the differences.

Comment

to be technically correct, apt update and apt full-upgrade are the correct commands, but the apt-get dist-upgrade etc can still be used.

Personally, I do not see the need to run a personal firewall unless you are not behind a router. Say using a mobile data via a dongle or a phone as a wifi hotspot. having two firewalls can cause conflicts sometimes, and can make troubleshooting network issues troublesome. Just enabling the ufw doesn't actually do much on its own without configuration, I think (may be wrong there).

as to which method of updating, that is up to you, You will see many long time users and die hard cli folks saying that the gui is the only way to go. Me, as a long time user myself, I use a bit of both. I use the updater when it offers me stuff. When I am installing or removing individual things ,or some basic maintenance, I use the command line. When browsing for fun stuff gui like games or something new, I'll use Discover. Screenshots and ratings/reviews are handy to me, and the lack of system bits and useless librarie, dev packages,, and other non-application stuff filters out a LOT of useless chaff for many people.

No method is *better* than the one that works best for *you*. I will say that most users will come across problems updating or installing things no matter what method. The command line gives the best message output, so it is useful if something goes wrong.

Comment

So I take it Discover is using "apt-get dist-upgrade" right? Or maybe even "apt dist-upgrade"?

Thanks, and so far Kubuntu is working very well on this old Windows 7 laptop. Can't wait to get it all set up the way I like it. Glad I was able to work through all the issues I had in my first install. Love The Cube so hope that will work well without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                to be technically correct, apt update and apt full-upgrade are the correct commands, but the apt-get dist-upgrade etc can still be used.
                I would like to be Technically Correct, so will start using that command instead. But may just use Discover for a while and see how it does. I like easy, and there is much more I would like to use my energy on.

Personally, I do not see the need to run a personal firewall unless you are not behind a router. Just enabling the ufw doesn't actually do much on its own without configuration, I think (may be wrong there).
                Very surprised to hear you say that, as I know you are a long time user. I've always read and been told to enable UFW no matter what. But I can see how it may make some Networking Diagnostics more difficult. Though Windows does the same thing, with a built in Firewall along with the Router. Anyhow, I don't trust my provider to do the best job either, even though I have the settings personalized they have some pretty lax security IMO.

Comment

Hi
                  I know that you have never read me say this but I detest the word "noob" for REAL "noobs" and for obviously experienced people like yourself. You, to me, are a "new person to Kubuntu.

Sorry about the rant.
                  woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
                    So I take it Discover is using "apt-get dist-upgrade" right? Or maybe even "apt dist-upgrade"?

Thanks, and so far Kubuntu is working very well on this old Windows 7 laptop. Can't wait to get it all set up the way I like it. Glad I was able to work through all the issues I had in my first install. Love The Cube so hope that will work well without issues.
                    Kinda sorta
                    Discover uses Packagekit, which is a cross-distro system, and packagekit in the end uses apt, or more likely dpkg, in Debian-based systems. Note that apt itself also uses dpkg

soooo......tl; dr : yes, both are using apt full-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post

Very surprised to hear you say that, as I know you are a long time user. I've always read and been told to enable UFW no matter what. But I can see how it may make some Networking Diagnostics more difficult. Though Windows does the same thing, with a built in Firewall along with the Router. Anyhow, I don't trust my provider to do the best job either, even though I have the settings personalized they have some pretty lax security IMO.
                      ufw, the firewall gui is just a gui interface to the built in firewall you already have - iptables (which I believe actually is itself a front-end to the kernel's built in firewall capabilities). I *think* that the default config may be similar to what you find in Windows, etc
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jan 14, 2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

The apt-get commands are still to be used in scripts, because their outputs are promised to be stable, and the apt commands' outputs may change in the future.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                          Hi
                          I know that you have never read me say this but I detest the word "noob" for REAL "noobs" and for obviously experienced people like yourself. You, to me, are a "new person to Kubuntu.

Sorry about the rant.
                          woodsmoke
                          True woodsmoke, but I feel like a noob lol. Due to my poor health and not being able to think in depth and learn some of this stuff, I still feel like a noob. Though I do know a bit about the fundamentals of it all starting this in 2014 I believe. I also am forced to use Winblows for work, and in the meantime, literally don't have the energy to learn linux all that well. Don't even know Winblows all that well, but well enough to bring in a little income in a part time type situation. Re-Installs, Printer Installs and some basic Diagnostics along with just helping folks with other basic stuff brings in a little cash.

Comment

I use the command line to upgrade. My method:

#1 Create a file in /etc/sudoers.d/ to make "apt" usable by me without using my password every time.
                            #2 Edit ~/.bash_aliases and alias the most used apt/apt-get commands to one-word commands.
                            #3 Install yakuake so I have a drop-down terminal to do my updates in.

#1 looks like this:
                            Code:
                            stuart office.smith.lan = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt-get,/usr/bin/apt,/usr/bin/add-apt-repository,/usr/bin/apt-add-repository
                            #2 looks like this:
                            Code:
                            alias aptlist='sudo apt list'
                            alias aptsearch='sudo apt search'
                            alias aptshow='sudo apt show'
                            alias instal='sudo apt install'
                            alias remove='sudo apt remove'
                            alias purge='sudo apt-get purge'
                            alias update='sudo apt update; sudo apt list --upgradable'
                            alias upgrade='sudo apt full-upgrade'
                            alias aremove='sudo apt-get autoremove'
                            #3 means I need only hit F12 and I have a terminal at my fingertips.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; May 16, 2022, 10:38 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

ufw, the firewall gui is just a gui interface to the built in firewall you already have - iptables (which I believe actually is itself a front-end to the kernel's built in firewall capabilities). I *think* that the default config may be similar to what you find in Windows, etc
                              I see, my terminology was off. Should have just said Firewall I guess. Most of what I've read says to Activate it, and that it provides an extra layer of protection.

Comment

Working...
                              X