X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Random freezes on Lenovo E585

Hello!

I encountered freezes on my Lenovo E585 laptop. It happens randomly but often during usage. The whole screen freezes and even switching to console doesn't work, but rebooting using ALT+PrintScreen R E I S U B still works. I would like to provide more information and file a bug, but I am not sure how I can collect useful information. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Stéphane

How long has the OS been installed and has this always been and issue or it this new?

Did you check the iso Hash before you installed?

I'm not proficient with collecting Errors but someone else will help you with that. I'll leave you with a Link that looks pretty good: How to View System Log Files on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    That link will show you various ways of looking at logs.

Usually a good thing is to see is your System Specs whenever you ask a question. I like the "inxi" tool. You can install it with the directions below.

Code:
    sudo apt install inxi
    You will of course have to Enter your password, which you will not see being typed for security, and hit Enter. Let it run, and when it stops it will ask you if you want to install something, Just hit Enter which is the Default for "Yes"

Now

1. Open Terminal/Konsole, Ctrl+alt+t will bring up Terminal/Konsole, if it don't just Open Menu and type Terminal or Konsole, you will see the Terminal, click on it.

2. Maximize the Terminal.

3. Copy Paste this Command into Terminal and Hit Enter.
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    4. Then Click “Edit” in upper Left of Terminal > “Select All” > then “Edit” again > Click “Copy” > Click the "Code#" Icon at Top of your Post and just Ctrl+v into the Code Box, Or just into your next Post.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

I had exactly the same problem, but it looks like it's solved.
      In my case it had to do with the Ryzen-chip from AMD in combination with Kubuntu 18.04. Earlier and later versions seem not to have problems.
      If you search for something like 'ryzen kubuntu 18.04 freeze' you'll find lots of people with the same problem.

What I did: I searched for tips. There are lots of different 'solutions', what's most of the time a sign there's no really good solution. I tried every tip one at a time. Some tips reduced the freezing from every hour to every three hours or something like that.
      The thing that finally worked for me (I hope, five days no freezing...): In Settings -> Screen and monitor -> Compositor I changed the Backend for rendering from OpenGL to XRender. (I've a Dutch system, so the exact words may be a little different.)
      But for other people other solutions worked.

(I'm no Linux expert, so I've no idea what I did. But if you're lucky this works for you too.)

Comment

Wanted to document this find here. Don't know if it is the same exact issue but...
        Ubuntu 18.04 LTS hard freezing while AFK

Comment

Thank you for these answers! Excuse me for my late reply, I would have replied earlier if I would have received an email about the response. I tried enabling that, but for some reason I cannot even change the settings (did an admin block my account?).
          I will try the BIOS setting mentioned by Nasty7 first. Disabling OpenGL seems too much: I would not use the nice graphics chipset in this laptop.

Comment

Some features here in KFN aren't going to be available until your post count is higher.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello again afetr a while. @Nasty7: I tried the solutions described in the forum, but I can safely say now that the solutions proposed in the forum (disable power management in BIOS and install a package to disable a C7 power saving state) did not work.
              I have also looked up the specs:

System: Host: xxxxxxx-ThinkPad-E585 Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
              Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.7 (Qt 5.9.5) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
              Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 20KVCTO1WW v: ThinkPad E585 serial: N/A
              Mobo: LENOVO model: 20KVCTO1WW v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: N/A
              UEFI: LENOVO v: R0UET52W (1.32 ) date: 09/01/2018
              Battery BAT0:charge: 45.6 Wh 99.9% condition: 45.6/45.3 Wh (101%) model: SMP 01AV446 status: Full
              CPU: Quad core AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-MT-MCP-) arch: Zen rev.0 cache: 2048 KB
              flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15969
              clock speeds:max: 2000 MHz 1: 1561 MHz 2: 1596 MHz 3: 1368 MHz 4: 1368 MHz 5: 1368 MHz 6: 1368 MHz
              7: 1359 MHz 8: 1368 MHz
              Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
              bus-ID: 05:00.0
              Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
              Resolution: 1920x1080@60.03hz
              OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-45-generic, LLVM 7.0.0)
              version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
              Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 05:00.6
              Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 05:00.1
              Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-45-generic
              Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
              driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
              IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
              Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath10k_pci bus-ID: 04:00.0
              IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
              Card-3: Atheros usb-ID: 003-002
              IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
              Drives: HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (5.8% used)
              ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: SAMSUNG_MZVLB512HAJQ size: 512.1GB
              Partition:ID-1: / size: 467G used: 27G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
              ID-2: /boot size: 705M used: 146M (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
              ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
              RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
              Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 49.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0
              Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
              Info: Processes: 280 Uptime: 2:21 Memory: 1518.0/15725.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
              Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

Any more tips?

Comment

I don't see any fixes, but do see one for 16.04. I don't know if this will work and have never tried it so your on your own if you try this.
                https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryz...stant-crashes/

Comment

To me it still looks like the same problem I have: Kubuntu 18.04 with a Ryzen chip. Searched again on 'kubuntu 18.04 ryzen freeze' and there are lots of reports.
                  It seems to have been solved on 18.10, but I wait till 19.04, because I prefer a lts. It only freezes once every two days or so, so I can live with that until april.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
                    To me it still looks like the same problem I have: Kubuntu 18.04 with a Ryzen chip. Searched again on 'kubuntu 18.04 ryzen freeze' and there are lots of reports.
                    It seems to have been solved on 18.10, but I wait till 19.04, because I prefer a lts. It only freezes once every two days or so, so I can live with that until april.
                    19.04 is not an LTS release. The next LTS release is 20.04.

Not know what exactly causes the problem, one thing you can do with 18.04 is update to the newer hardware stack. It is not enabled by default. Install

linux-generic-hwe-18.04 and this will immediately upgrade you to the 4.18 kernel. That might just solve this.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for explaining to me the difference between 2018 and 2019. Sometimes I'm an idiot. Have read 1000 times 18.04 and every time my magic mind transformed it into 19.04. If you had not written this, I would probably have completely new installed 19.04, believing it was a LTS.

I'm going to try this right away. As far as I understood it had to do with the version of the kernel. I'm not sure, because this stuff really is too complicated for me.

After installing I'll wait a week, because it only happens about every 2 days. (Yesterday three times in one hour, but that's really an exception.)

If it works, I'll reply here.
                      Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Feb 27, 2019, 04:52 AM. Reason: Changed years

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
                        Thanks for explaining to me the difference between 2018 and 2019. Sometimes I'm an idiot. Have read 1000 times 19.04 and every time my magic mind transformed it into 18.04. If you had not written this, I would probably have completely new installed 18.04, believing it was a LTS.

I'm going to try this right away. As far as I understood it had to do with the version of the kernel. I'm not sure, because this stuff really is too complicated for me.

After installing I'll wait a week, because it only happens about every 2 days. (Yesterday three times in one hour, but that's really an exception.)

If it works, I'll reply here.
                        18.04 is an LTS. They come every two years in April. 14.04 - 16.04 - 18.04 - 20.04 all LTS

Please Read Me

Comment

I just proved I'm at least a persistent idiot. Even in the for-last message I changed 18.04 and 19.04 (I corrected it). Of course I know 18.04 is a LTS, that's why I installed it.
                          The funny thing: I had the years correct, but after rereading it I changed them. I've had this thing with years all of my life, don't know what it is. Ah well, there are worse things.
                          Now that I write here anyway: I changed the renderer back from XRender to OpenGL 3.1. (OpenGL made it freeze all of the time). Until now it didn't freeze. So maybe the problem is solved. (If I didn't mix up the version numbers or some other magical change.)

I'll come back in this thread ina week, if everything goes well. If not, I'll be back sooner.
                          Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Feb 27, 2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

The new kernel didn't solve it. It's only happening about once every two days, so I can live with it. (I still use Windows for testing sites, and when I update Opera I usually have to reboot 3-4 times before it updates, so once every two days is still pretty nice. But of course it shouldn't be this way.)
                            I changed OpenGL back to XRender, because with OpenGL it froze a few times.

It looked like a newer kernel solved the problem, but today I read on https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683 they start to think it's a BIOS problem.

All together 18.04 is so much better then 14.04 I can live with it.
                            Eureka: I have the right year in the version!

Comment

Working...
                            X