This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Weird program hangs

Hi all. Okay, I've got one more problem that's shown up which I know isn't a problem with the system itself, as it runs fine with Mint 18.3 when I test it. In fact, it's rock solid under Mint 18.3, so I've been able to rule out hardware issues with the system via that method (sorry for jumping ship for a while, but I had to try and narrow down the problem one way or another) and ruled it out. Anyhow, what happens is this, and I'll show a few examples so you know what I'm dealing with.

1. Thunderbird is one program that this is known to happen with. When I download mail, and the download reaches 100%, it freezes for up to a minute before I can do anything. It doesn't freeze at any other time, and it only seems to be when it's writing to the disk. This happens every single time I download mail.

2. Firefox and Waterfox, when downloading files, as soon as the file completes, it'll freeze for about the same amount of time as though waiting for something to timeout.

3. Pidgin will randomly freeze when sending messages to someone. I hit enter and it just sits there for about 30 seconds before something happens. Again, not all the time. Just sometimes, and at random times. But when the freeze happens it's usually for the same amount of time.

The only common element I can think of between these three is system notifications. Because with Thunderbird and Firefox/Waterfox, when the email finishes coming in, a popup will appear saying either "new mail" (thunderbird), "download completed" (firefox/waterfox), or the systray icon will change for Pidgin. Again, all notifications. So I'm kinda thinking I might be butting up against a system notification of some kind that times out after about 30 seconds, but I have no idea what notification as the native Plasma notification system is turned off, deferring all notifications directly to the individual programs themselves. This was tested with two different SSD drives (a Sandisk and a Samsung 860) and it does it the same on both, so I'm not thinking that it's a disk issue, and as I said, it doesn't do it under Mint, so I'm trying to narrow down what in Kubuntu is causing this, and the only thing I can point the finger at is system notifications at this point. Anyhow, if any of you have some ideas, I'm game.

Solved. I had to turn system notifications back on in order to get rid of the hang. Honestly, that's stupid that I have to defer to KDE's system notifications when I prefer to let the programs do it themselves. But, evidently the latest Plasma 5 won't let me get around that anymore. *sigh* Oh well, problem solved, I guess. I just wish there was a better solution so I could do things the old way instead of this "new" way, which really IMHO, is inferior and annoying. T_T

Comment

Feel your pain, bro. LOL. Really, those aren't KDE programs so probably back-burner like for the devs - know what I mean?

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately I do. Been doing some digging too to find ways to unhitch them from KDE. However, it seems the Mozilla devs are doing their level best to hitch their apps tighter and tighter to KDE. I'm like, "Um, no." But yeah, they don't listen to peons like us apparently. I mean, just look at all the super useful stuff they yanked out of Firefox Quantum, such as double sidebars and the like, special theme customizations and such. They're doing that totally screwed my workflow at work so bad I switched browsers. Hopefully things don't keep going or I may switch desktops too. Ugh. Honestly, it's darned annoying.

Comment

So other than aesthetics, what's wrong with KDE Notifications? They pop up, they go away. They can be useful, and mostly not terribly annoying.

Whether you run Mint (I do on my laptop), or Kubuntu (on my my desktop PC) there will be imperfections. A lot of the developers, testers, document writers, and others are pure volunteers who have other jobs and distractions. I my opinion, we're are lucky/blessed to have the level excellence that we do have and an incredible range of choices available to choose from.

In my journey from mid-90s Slackware to present day user friendliness (by way of Red Hat, Mandrake, BSDs and others), I've experienced nothing but constant improvement.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Well, my gripe with the KDE notifications isn't the notifications. It's how they act and look. I prefer the native notifications that the individual apps use, rather than KDE's "one size fits all" approach. I enjoy the unique individuality of the native notifications inside the individual programs from another perspective. Namely, I don't have to look at every single notification to know where it's coming from. I can see the different designs in the corner of my eye and immediately know if I need to pay attention to it or not. Plus, I can individualize where each one appears, such as upper right for Firefox/Waterfox notifications, lower right for Thunderbird, off for Pidgin, etc. So my gripe isn't against the devs so much as it's against this growing "one size fits all" mentality that's rising up in a LOT of things. Sure, my current gripe is against KDE, but in general it's against the whole unified, cookie cutter approach to UI development these days. People may enjoy that "one size fits all" approach to things, but I work a tech job where I'm flooded with information all day, every day, and the faster I can triage information, the more effective I am at my job.

One size fits all just makes my job harder by severely slowing down that process. Thus why I was disappointed to discover I couldn't do things the way I've always done them before due simply to the implementation of OSFA.

Comment

Hmm, interesting discovery. If I turn off system notifications, then receive a new email, obviously Thunderbird hangs up. But if I go into Thunderbird and turn off "Play a sound" when a new email comes in, the hangup problem stops. So I'm wondering if this is less an issue with system notifications, and more perhaps a conflict between Alsa and system notifications. The plot thickens. Hmm.

Comment

Working...
              X