X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree ...
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

When I was more into shooting as a hobby, we used to always have a certain percentage of members at the range who tried to buy accuracy instead of working on their fundamentals. Accuracy through Acquisition, we called it. "I can't shoot straight with this gun, I'll buy another more expensive gun with better sights..." I see a certain kind of distro hopping as the Linux equivalent.

The OPs last posts three years ago ended up with him taking his ball and going home. (switched distros).
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

There are plenty of alternatives still listed in DistroWatch ...

Maybe it's time to fly - again.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
          I just downloaded and installed 18.04 and updated it. Now i go to move files over and...

When i copy a folder over to the desktop from my USB drive,
          it copies, but adds another HOME folder and when I copy another folder over,
          I get a TRASH folder right next to it that I cannot move or do anything with.
          Some folders get duplicated for no reason.

I swear... I've been using Linux since 1999 and in the past few years, it just
          seems to be getting to be more of a HASSLE to use than it was 10 years ago!
          I think what is happening here is a lack of us understanding ort seeing what you are seeing.
          I think a screenshot of what you see might be useful, as I think the users trying to help are maybe focusing on the directory structure of what you are copying, and not the outcome (what you are seeing).

For reference, a stock Plasma 5 desktop layout is a so-called 'folder view' layout, it is the actual folder /home/<username>/Desktop, where you can drag files and folders, but still be able to add widgets and icons. There will be a trash icon and a link to the Home folder on this layout by default.
          Here is mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180926_182220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	643998
          So, there should normally be a Home and a Trash icon in the desktop already.

The previous default 'Desktop' layout was not a folder in the file system at all, just a place for widgets and icons, no files or folders.

You can switch between the two styles, if desired.

What some of us are trying to find out is what specifically you are copying over, what specific folder or files? Is it a backup of your previous files? Perhaps the contents are replacing existing configs, links, or files. The directory name and tree of the folder you are copying is important to helping figure out what is going on.

Comment

Maybe we should close this, but really we were not asking good questions, tbh.
            I mean, what file manager? really??

Comment

The thread is closed. I closed it.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X