This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is WRONG with this GUI??

I just downloaded and installed 18.04 and updated it. Now i go to move files over and...

When i copy a folder over to the desktop from my USB drive,
    it copies, but adds another HOME folder and when I copy another folder over,
    I get a TRASH folder right next to it that I cannot move or do anything with.
    Some folders get duplicated for no reason.

I swear... I've been using Linux since 1999 and in the past few years, it just
    seems to be getting to be more of a HASSLE to use than it was 10 years ago!

Are you sure it is a GUI problem?
    What app are you using to make the copy?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What app??

I simply click and drag the folder from my USB drive to the desktop. Since when do you need an app to do that?

Comment

If you are copying a /home from the USB to somewhere on your hard drive, you will get duplicates unless you copy it to the / level and not to /home/<user>/Desktop. At least that's what you were literally describing.

So let's start over. What are copying from the USB drive: files, directories, both. Where in the filesystem are you trying to land the copied files and/or directories. And, yes, it is important to know what you are using to facilitate this. If you've been using Linux since 1999, then you know that there's more than one way to do anything.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
          What app??

I simply click and drag the folder from my USB drive to the desktop. Since when do you need an app to do that?
          In what app is the folder hierarchy being displayed? Are you using a folder layout on your desktop? Or, are you using Dolphin? MC (Midnight Commander)? Konqueror?

Normally, when you insert a USB stick into a USB port a dialog pops up asking what you want to do with that device. One option is to open it with Dolphin. Is that what you are using?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No I did Not copy a HOME folder to the desktop. It created a second HOME folder on its own!

Comment

I'm using the OS STOCK! You are making this out to be WAY harder than the situation is.

I installed the OS then plugged in my USB drive to transfer files. HOW Hard does this have to be??

Then it duplicates the trash folder as well.

Then when I move a folder I just transferred to the desktop from my USB drive, the Trash folder follows.

Comment

You're not listening to the offers of help being given to you. The title of your thread says " What is WRONG with this GUI??" O.K., identify the GUI application you are using to copy things from the USB drive. Then please identify to where you are trying to copy those things, and what those things actually are..

The solution to your problem is in the details that we're asking you to identify.
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

STOCK
                  General User Interface = KDE

I've stated this several times!

I simply installed this OS and went to move files from my usb drive to the desktop. simple. done.

Although with this OS, it is NOT simple Or done.
                  Last edited by Guest; Sep 26, 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

No I did Not copy a HOME folder to the desktop. It created a second HOME folder on its own!
                    I didn't say you did. When you say "it" what are you referring to? The desktop? I ask that because the default setting for the Plasma desktop is the "Folder" setting. It places a folder icon on the desktop and when you Left click on it Dolphin usually opens up and displays the home folder. On that desktop the folder icon can be moved or duplicated just like any other desktop icon.

I'm using the OS STOCK! You are making this out to be WAY harder than the situation is.

I installed the OS then plugged in my USB drive to transfer files. HOW Hard does this have to be??

Then it duplicates the trash folder as well.

Then when I move a folder I just transferred to the desktop from my USB drive, the Trash folder follows.
                    I am partially deaf but there's no need to shout. You are misunderstanding how to use the Folder version of the desktop. If you open Dolphin you'll notice a trash folder in the Places panel. When you plug in a USB stick and navigate to it in Dolphin youl'll notice that it ALSO includes a trash folder. EVERY storage medium you open using Dolphin will include a trash folder.

Using the Folder version of the desktop is klutzy in many ways, which is why I switch my desktop to the wallpaper version and place a nice, peaceful pic on my desktop. Usually forest lake scenes or small kittens. I usually pin Dolphin to my panel at the bottom of the page, along side other apps I use frequently: kate, kcalc, screen saver, ksysguard, minecraft, firefox. They are always visible even when other apps take up the entire screen, so I don't have to minimize them to run another app.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 26, 2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

One final question. Are you using Dolphin to facilitate moving files?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I didn't say you did. When you say "it" what are you referring to? The desktop? I ask that because the default setting for the Plasma desktop is the "Folder" setting. It places a folder icon on the desktop and when you Left click on it Dolphin usually opens up and displays the home folder. IF you hold the left mouse button down on the Folder icon and then drag it and release it somewhere else on the desktop it will create a second copy of that folder icon which, if Left clicked on will open the home folder.

IT = THIS OS - this is crazy... I KNOW it will create a second folder which is the goal on the desktop... but this stupid OS creates MORE than one! The ONLY two OS's I have witnessed this issues is KUBUNTU and NEON. I'm destined now to DL Manjaro and say goodbye to this debian wannabe crap.

I am partially deaf but there's no need to shout. You are misunderstanding how to use the Folder version of the desktop. If you open Dolphin you'll notice a trash folder in the Places panel. When you plug in a USB stick and navigate to it in Dolphin youl'll notice that it ALSO includes a trash folder. EVERY storage medium you open using Dolphin will include a trash folder.

Using the Folder version of the desktop is klutzy in many ways, which is why I switch my desktop to the wallpaper version and place a nice, peaceful pic on my desktop. Usually forest lake scenes or small kittens. I usually pin Dolphin to my panel at the bottom of the page, along side other apps I use frequently: kate, kcalc, screen saver, ksysguard, minecraft, firefox. They are always visible even when other apps take up the entire screen, so I don't have to minimize them to run another app.

Thanks Anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          One final question. Are you using Dolphin to facilitate moving files?
                          YES!! Again... I am using this OS STOCK!!

Comment

"OS STOCK" doesn't mean anything. Kubuntu / Plasma5 can be configured during and after the install in so many ways that there is no "stock" OS, unless you are referring to the kernel.

Simply put, you misunderstand how to use the tool you are trying to use. When you plug in a USB stick you should get a notification in your system tray, and then a dialog appears giving you some choices. One of the choices is to use Dolphin to open the USB stick file structure so you can browse it. Then you can drag and drop a folder from the USB stick to a folder in your home account (/home/yourname). IF you choose the root of the USB file structure it will include the trash icon that is created when the USB stick was formatted. Moral: don't drag and drop on your desktop. Use Dolphin directly. If you need to use the split option to create to file structure panels that you can drag and drop between (and in either direction).

Comment

We should just delete this thread now. OP has no idea what he's talking about, which wouldn't be a problem by itself, but he's being rude to everyone based on his own ignorance.
                              https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X