Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Launching a new instance of an app brings focus to the existing one not launch new

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Launching a new instance of an app brings focus to the existing one not launch new

Hello,

After upgrading to kubuntu 18.04 I have noticed a change in behavior when I try to launch several instances of the same application, for example if I try to open 2 konqueror windows in different workspaces, when I try to open the second one what happens is that the first instance is brought to front in the current workspace (moved from the original one). This means I cannot open two konqueror windows in different workspaces or even the same workspace.

This happens if I use Alt+F2 to launch the applications but also if I launch from a xterm or from the K icon in the bottom left.

How can I change this behavior to the old one, that is, to be able to launch a new instance of the application every time I want?

Thank you so much!

Pablo
    Last edited by pescador; Aug 14, 2018, 10:53 PM. Reason: Correction (it applies to Konqueror only)

Is this particular to Konqueror?
    I forgot Konqueror was still a thing these days

Comment

Actually, very good question. Yes, it's particular to konqueror! It does not happen with dolphin, for example

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Is this particular to Konqueror?
        I forgot Konqueror was still a thing these days
        I love Konqueror... is there any better alternative of file manager with tabs that maintains the tabs open when I reboot the computer?

Comment

Actually
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383815
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383815#c1rec
          Edit the menu entry Command to read 'konqueror about:blank" (or some website/directory url) or in Konqueror File-- New Window each time.

To edit the menu entry, right-click on the Kmenu, and select "edit applications"

Konqueror is not much maintained these days for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by pescador View Post
            I love Konqueror... is there any better alternative of file manager with tabs that maintains the tabs open when I reboot the computer?
            Ummm......Dolphin

ctrl-m to reveal full menus, then it is the usual File-New Tab
            or ctrl-t for a new tab
            Works for me between reboots on my quick test\

Comment

Actually
              https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383815
              https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383815#c1rec
              Edit the menu entry Command to read 'konqueror about:blank" (or some website/directory url) or in Konqueror File-- New Window each time.

To edit the menu entry, right-click on the Kmenu, and select "edit applications"

Konqueror is not much maintained these days for sure.
              Wow, thanks a lot for pointing me to a workaround. I will read it carefully as they say it's anyway not ideal. Actually, I've found that I can just type in the Alt+F2 box: "konqueror www.google.com" and this brings up a new window. As Alt+F2 box remembers my old commands, this is pretty simple and I don't need to create any shortcuts.

THANKS a lot claydoh for your pointing me in the right direction!!!

AND... any alternatives to konqueror to have a file browser with multiple tabs that persists through sessions? (that is, if I log off and in again, they open the same windows)

Comment

Ummm...Dolphin

ctrl-m to reveal full menus, then it is the usual File-New Tab
                or ctrl-t for a new tab
                Works for me between reboots on my quick test\
                Oh, I just saw this post which I think you typed while I was reading and responding to the previous one!

ctrl+m ----> GREAT! Thanks for pointing this out. A bit of tweaking in the dolphin configuration also lets me now edit the address bar directly, which I love

I'll give it a go, but I don't promise I won't go back to konqueror, which I really love!!! :-)

Thanks for your help and all the advice!!! (is there a way to score or give good points to your responses in this forum)

Comment

Oh, I just saw this post which I think you typed while I was reading and responding to the previous one!

ctrl+m ----> GREAT! Thanks for pointing this out. A bit of tweaking in the dolphin configuration also lets me now edit the address bar directly, which I love

I'll give it a go, but I don't promise I won't go back to konqueror, which I really love!!! :-)

Thanks for your help and all the advice!!! (is there a way to score or give good points to your responses in this forum)
                  Actually, once I enable editing of the address bar and I remove the (silly for me) "places" menu on the left side of the window... I cannot tell now if I'm in konqueror or dolphin!!! so this is good for me :-) You may have converted me to Dolphin now!

Comment

AND... any alternatives to konqueror to have a file browser with multiple tabs that persists through sessions? (that is, if I log off and in again, they open the same windows)
                    Try Krusader, it's been my favourite file manager for years. I like the "orthodox" two pane view with multiple tabs.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks for the thanks Glad you have things working the way you like.
                      There is no kudos or thanks type of thing here, we decided against it long ago. It is not needed. I myself don't care if I score points.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                        Try Krusader, it's been my favourite file manager for years. I like the "orthodox" two pane view with multiple tabs.
                        Thank you for the suggestion Rod! I'll try Krusader too

Comment

You guys always stick to those old out-dated file managers, meanwhile I'm writing custom servicemenus and adding new functionality for Dolphin.

XTree Gold Pro anyone?

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, Dolphin did (eventually) take and expand on all the good parts of Konqueror, and left out the junk (web browsing)

Comment

Working...
                            X