This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Kubuntu while waiting for Neon

I downloaded the 18.04 Kubuntu ISO and burned it onto a USB stick.
    I replaced the HD (/dev/sa) with a Samsung EVO Pro SSD and installed Kubuntu using Btrfs as the root filesystem.
    The installation completed without a hitch.

As you would suspect, my wifi took my password from the install process and I had a wifi connection automatically. I ran the updates in a Konsole and some 300+ apps came down the pipe, making my 18.04 installation an 18.04.1 installation.jj
    I was going to install the printer and checked to see if HPLIP was installed by default. It was. I opened its GUI up and was surprised to see my HP Lazerjet P1606dn duplex laser already installed and configured for duplex printing. Printed a test page, which came out perfect.

I opened a Konsole and entered
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

A couple of minutes later it was done. I rebooted and was greeted with a desktop powered by the NVidia 390 driver. No artifacts or tearing were evident nor have any appeared since then.
    Code:
    :~$ [B][FONT=courier new]systemd-analyze[/FONT][/B]
    Startup finished in 3.837s (kernel) + 8.276s (userspace) = 12.113s
    graphical.target reached after 1.841s in userspace
    ~$ [FONT=courier new][B]systemd-analyze blame[/B][/FONT]
              7.117s configure-printer@usb-003-002.service
               752ms keyboard-setup.service
               741ms dev-sda1.device
               413ms mpd.service
               273ms NetworkManager.service
               217ms systemd-resolved.service
               214ms systemd-logind.service
               190ms systemd-rfkill.service
               174ms systemd-timesyncd.service
               150ms upower.service
               147ms gpu-manager.service
               141ms snapd.service
               141ms networkd-dispatcher.service
               121ms udisks2.service
                86ms motd-news.service
                76ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                74ms systemd-udevd.service
                74ms home.mount
                73ms ModemManager.service
                72ms thermald.service
    I installed Thunderbird using muon. When I opened it I was asked for my account name and email address. I entered that information and within seconds my email account was configured and worked properly. I changed the default email to "Thunderbird -u%" in the "Applications" setting of System Settings, and added the email icon to the FF toolbar. When I was on a web page I clicked the email icon and the write message popped up with the title of the article in the subject line and the URL as the first line in the body of the message. It sent off nicely.

I needed to move my data over from one of my recent Neon subvolume snapshots. I opened a Konsole, "sudo -i" to root, mounted the backup HD to /backup, fired up mc, which was pre-installed, and put my home account in the right panel and the home account from the snapshot in the left panel. Selecting the directories and files I wanted to move I hit F5 and in a few minutes my home account was populated with my data. I imported the HTML of my FF saved links.

The last thing to do was to connect with my IPv6 tunnel, which involved pasting some lines which were created by a tool on tunnelbroker.net for debian/ubuntu computers into the /etc/network/interfaces file and then rebooting. Now I have IPv6.

One last thing to do tomorrow is complete the Steam install so I can run Universe Sandbox^2.

It's been about 3 years since I ran Kubuntu. It is every bit as good as I remember it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Nice. I too have tried Kubuntu 18.04. I found it to be very fast and stable. Neon seems like it's almost ready for release, but I tried an upgrade (something I never do) from my current KDEneon 16.04 User Edition install to the Beta Dev. 18.04 version of KDEneon and it failed. I got the "black screen" and a couple other problems so I dropped it for now. No big deal because I upgraded a snapshot - of course.

Please Read Me

Comment

The REAL REASON I tried Kubuntu was because I could not wait any longer to try this new SSD I recently received.
      The increase is speed of this computer is phenomenal!
      Thanks, oshunluvr!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You're very welcome, and yes - the speed increases are striking in some use-cases. Here, sending a btrfs backup from ssd-to-ssd is really quick. I should do a test comparison - maybe next week when I'm back home.

Please Read Me

Comment

@GG, good choice on the printer -- I have had the same model since 2012 when I found it in my deceased uncle's apartment. I have no idea how long he had had it. Works a charm.

Comment

Sure does. IIRC, I bought min ein 2012 when I got this Acer V3-771G laptop.
            With Kubuntu 16.04 I was able to make my secondary GPU (GT 650M) behave like the primary, even though I cannot set it as the primary in the BIOS.
            Now, with a new Samsung EVO Pro SSD this six year old computer is like a new machine!

Comment

That first bootup when you switch to an SSD (mine went from 1:30 to 13 seconds) is like a revelation.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                That first bootup when you switch to an SSD (mine went from 1:30 to 13 seconds) is like a revelation.
                It sure is! I'll take 15 seconds any day!

Comment

Trying Kubuntu while waiting for Neon

Kubuntu has always been better than most KDE distros but BIONIC is even better than I remember. A pleasure to run. While Neon’s leading edge Plasma is nice I’m thinking of staying with Kubuntu for a while, just to soak in it.

I may use Oshunluvr’s multiple boot tactic and install Neon too!
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 03, 2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X