Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPN quits when internet goes out. Is this expected?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN quits when internet goes out. Is this expected?

I use a VPN on my server (PIA if it matters) and it appears that when my internet goes off line for awhile, the VPN quits.

I only noticed it because this last week or so my internet provider is having issues and the internet is blinking off and on several time a day.

I'm really just wondering if it's normal for the VPN connection to totally drop and open to suggestions on how to manage it. The issue is my torrent server becomes exposed and if I torrent too much, my provider starts to choke me. I could either kill transmission when the VPN tunnel closes or restart the VPN when the internet connection is restored. I haven't figured out how to do either yet.

Please Read Me

No connection with this product, but this was found with a Google search. Maybe worth looking into? https://speedify.com/blog/fix-intern...ping-solution/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting. Worth a look, thanks SH

Please Read Me

Comment

I have not seen this myself, though on my computers I have not used PIA extensively since I was in Australia. I mainly use it on my Android TV box, for torrenting purposes. I use the 'kill switch' option which seems to work to keep my torrents from downloading when the VPN is disconnected. I know this doesn't help with the actual issue but may be useful to alleviate the potential attention from your ISP. The default setting for this on the desktop app is 'auto' but can be set to always on.

Might be worth enabling loigging onb the program, and submitting a support ticket. I did not see anything useful in their knowledge base

Comment

Working...
        X