Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the options needed to use RSYNC with SAMBA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the options needed to use RSYNC with SAMBA?

Hello.
    I have a hard disk connect in my router, this unit I have mounted in fstab with this command (thanks at @oshunluvr )
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace]//192.168.0.1/Router /mnt/externo cifs auto,users,vers=1.0,username=admin,password=mypass 0 0[/FONT]

Work fine, with dolphin I can access, read and write perfect.

But I need execute a rsync command, when execute this command I have this error:
    Code:
    rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/externo/backups/pc/": Operation not permitted (1)
    The mounted unit are in NTFS.

I know that, the options in my fstab are not correct for this, in this last days I search and I try some options but any option work for me.

Other mounted units work fine with rsync, but aren't in samba (are a local hard disks).

The closest thing I have been to find the solution concerns changed mount options to default, re-mount file system and I know it's easy to configure to default and remount option, but I have not been able to make it work with rsync ...
    I try with: default,errors=remount-ro
    I don't know if its bad, or fail a commas...etc..

Thanks in advance.

Hello.
    I made some tests, and I try this line (in konsole, not in fstab):

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o username=admin,password=mypass,vers=1.0,user,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw //192.168.0.1/Router /mnt/externo
    But I have the same problem when start rsync...

Regards.

Comment

Try adding these options to rsync:

--no-o --no-g

Please Read Me

Comment

The problem is you're mounting as user "admin" and you are not "admin", you are whatever your username is. Your user doesn't have permission to access the shared files.

You could also try the rsync option:

--no-p

You should also show us what rsync command you are using.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Try adding these options to rsync:

--no-o --no-g
          The problem is you're mounting as user "admin" and you are not "admin", you are whatever your username is. Your user doesn't have permission to access the shared files.

You could also try the rsync option:

--no-p

You should also show us what rsync command you are using.
          The problem is that, I can't edit the rsync command.
          The rsync command work in a software and I can't edit the rsync command.
          Only can change the options in mount ...

Thanks and regards.

Comment

What "software" is the rsync command coming from? It's not very useful if you can't edit it.

If you can't mount the share as your user and you can't change the rsync options, I don't know what else to try.

Please Read Me

Comment

I can try to mount with my user (but I don't know how mount with my user (not admin user)...
              What "software" is the rsync command coming from? It's not very useful if you can't edit it.
              Is LuckyBackup, great program for me for made my backups.

If you can't mount the share as your user and you can't change the rsync options, I don't know what else to try.
              Yes, like indicate, I can try to mount the share as my user, but I don't know how made this mount with my user...my knowledge in mount are very small ...

Thanks and regards.

PD: I think that I can change my mount drive from NTS to EXT4, its possible this solved this issue, but before this, I prefer / want to try it in NTFS, that way, the unit will be compatible with other systems and most importantly, I will learn

Thanks and regards.

Comment

According the Lucky Backup documentation, you can launch it as root using "sudo luckybackup" so try that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also, according to Lucky Backup docs, you can change the options. http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/m...dvancedOptions
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	OperationPropertiesAdvancedEmpty5.png
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	644146

Uncheck "Preserve Ownership and permissions" and it should work.

However, I question to usage of a backup program and storage that does not allow you to retain file ownership and permission. You wouldn't be able to restore it in a usable way so it not really a backup, just a copy of files.
                  Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 14, 2019, 06:30 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very much for your attention and help.

According the Lucky Backup documentation, you can launch it as root using "sudo luckybackup" so try that.
                    Yes, I start Luckybackup with option super user (like root), in this case, rsync works fine, any problem, was made the copy without problems.

Also, according to Lucky Backup docs, you can change the options. http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/m...dvancedOptions
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8015[/ATTACH]

Uncheck "Preserve Ownership and permissions" and it should work.

However, I question to usage of a backup program and storage that does not allow you to retain file ownership and permission. You wouldn't be able to restore it in a usable way so it not really a backup, just a copy of files.
                    In my actual version, this options I can't uncheck, they are gray, marked, but I can not uncheck them and / or check them.

And I think like you:
                    That if, as super user (root) the copy rate is very slow, I imagine / I guess it must be because it is a unit mounted under samba.

Seeing that as a super user (root) it seems that if it works, I would like, if possible, the confirmation that this assembly line is correct, to learn and continue testing:
                    Code:
                    sudo mount -t cifs -o username=admin,password=mypass,vers=1.0,user,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw //192.168.0.1/Router /mnt/externo
                    The flag user and not users and the rest of options of the mount, if are corrects and well configured.

Again, thank you very much for your attention and help!

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X