This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to see my NAS...

Hi, I'm new to kubuntu, I've tried Mint, basic Ubuntu, Zorin OS, elementary OS, all have their pluses and minuses, but I really like what I'm seeing with this distribution. Having said that, this is the only distribution where I am not seeing my NAS drive. The others have all "found" the drive and I have been able to access it via their respective file manager applications. When I'm looking at the Dolphin file manager under devices, all I see is the other LInux distribution (I haven't deleted yet) and the Windows partition. In others I would have also seen the "Public drive". It is a Western Digital MyBookLive NAS. I haven't been able to get anywhere if I click on Network either. Any thoughts?
    thanks in advance

What file system? Most of those distros probably have samba, NFS, and zeroconf set up. Ubuntu (and by extension Kubuntu) do not.

If your NAS uses Samba (Windows), install and configure the samba client. If it uses NFS, install that.

BTW, in any case it wouldn't be under "Devices" because it's not installed in your machine or mounted on your machine. Look under "Network" in Dolphin, then "Samba Shares". Once you find it and get it connected, you can drag the icon to the "Places" bar in Dolphin.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      What file system? Most of those distros probably have samba, NFS, and zeroconf set up. Ubuntu (and by extension Kubuntu) do not.

If your NAS uses Samba (Windows), install and configure the samba client. If it uses NFS, install that.

BTW, in any case it wouldn't be under "Devices" because it's not installed in your machine or mounted on your machine. Look under "Network" in Dolphin, then "Samba Shares". Once you find it and get it connected, you can drag the icon to the "Places" bar in Dolphin.
      Thank you very much for your reply. Guess it looks like I'll have to install and configure samba then. That in and of itself looks to be a bit daunting, well for me at least. I'll give it the old college try though!

Comment

Originally posted by indicolts View Post
        Thank you very much for your reply. Guess it looks like I'll have to install and configure samba then. That in and of itself looks to be a bit daunting, well for me at least. I'll give it the old college try though!
        Hmm, now when I try to launch samba I'm getting the error - could not find the program 'gksu'... Stuck again unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by indicolts View Post
          Hmm, now when I try to launch samba I'm getting the error - could not find the program 'gksu'... Stuck again unfortunately
          gksu is a Gnome program and thus not installed by default. What are you doing to launch samba? Have you configured it?

There are literally 1000s of tutorials on how to configure samba. Look for a current one relating to Plasma or Dolphin.

In the mean time, make sure your samba shares are visible. try "smbtree" in Konsole. Generally, the way to troubleshoot a samba share problem is to attempt to mount it manually from the command line. This will often generate meaningful errors or hints. Once you have it mounted manually, then work on getting Dolphin to access it the way you want. I prefer mounting shares in fstab if they are available full time (like a NAS or server).

Please Read Me

Comment

success! thanks for your advice!

Comment

Working...
            X