X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia and Xorg.conf

Hi all,

I have a relatively fresh install of kubuntu 18 on a dell m4700 that has both a nvidia k2000 and intel intergrated video. i have installed the nvidia 390 series drivers and am currently running on them. In the past, I would add a few lines to the xorg.conf file, (triplebuffer and forcefullcompositiopipeline to help out with the video tearing. I took a look and could not find a xorg.conf file. As a side note, my interest is to run the nvidia drivers full time, so I do not care about switching between the nvidia and intels.

Is there any way I could safely add one and or do something to assist in removing some of the video tearing?

Any info or suggestions would be very useful

Steve
    Last edited by steveblezy; Jun 29, 2018, 06:53 PM.

There is an app, nvidia-settings, a tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver, that has a gui icon in the System menu. Among other things it allows you to switcch between nvidia and your other GPU, make changes to xconf, etc. There is a widget called "Thermal Monitor" that allows you to place a GPU temp display on the panel so you can see how hot your GPU is getting.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The nvidia -settings was also installed when the drivers were installed. When under XServer Display Configuration, "Save to X Configuration file", I recieve a dialog saying "Failed to generate X config file" Under the lowest opting in the tool nvidia-settings configuration "save current configuration" button, when pressed a dialog open to save a .nvidia-settings-rc. Where do I save it? the dialog box option starts at my home directory?

Comment

Regardless of the settings that I use in the nvidia settings tool, nothing prevents the video tearing. The only thing that has ever helps in the past (on other distros) was to edit the xorg.cof file that i mentioned in the original post, but in kubuntu, there is no xorg.conf file.

Comment

I have a feeling that it is all about the sync to Vblank but I have tried every combination that i can think of. Nvidia vblank option off, KDE compositor Vbank on, Nvidia vblank on, kde compositor off, both on, both off. Nothing seems to make a difference in the tearing. It is almost as if neither kwin nor nvidia are syncing to vblank
          Last edited by steveblezy; Jun 29, 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

look hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post369780

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              The advice in that thread often says use kdesudo dolphin. On new 18.04 installs there's no kdesudo, and anyway dolphin refuses to run as root. But it's easy to achieve the same result by using kate to Save As... into the directory the advice says to copy to using dolphin, or copying using the command line with sudo cp.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                The advice in that thread often says use kdesudo dolphin. On new 18.04 installs there's no kdesudo, and anyway dolphin refuses to run as root. But it's easy to achieve the same result by using kate to Save As... into the directory the advice says to copy to using dolphin, or copying using the command line with sudo cp.
                true ,,,,,I should have mentioned that

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by steveblezy View Post
                  Regardless of the settings that I use in the nvidia settings tool, nothing prevents the video tearing. The only thing that has ever helps in the past (on other distros) was to edit the xorg.cof file that i mentioned in the original post, but in kubuntu, there is no xorg.conf file.
                  Correct, there isn't one. That doesn't prevent you from writing one, however this is not the preferred way to insert sections in into Xorg when it launches. The "correct" way is to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and put files in there for each section of the old xorg.conf that you need. For example I have;

Code:
                  $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-device.conf 
                  Section "Device"
                      Identifier  "device0"
                      Driver  "nvidia"
                      VendorName  "nVidia Corporation" 
                      BoardName "GeForce GTX 780"
                      Option  "UseEvents"  "false"
                      Option  "Coolbits" "12"
                      Option  "TripleBuffer" "True"
                  #                + Enables triple buffering. "Decreases the time an application stalls while waiting for vblank events, but increases latency slightly" (NVIDIA Readme) 
                  EndSection
                  and;
                  Code:
                  $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf 
                  Section "Monitor"
                      Identifier  "Monitor0"
                      VendorName  "Acer"
                      ModelName   "XRC382CQK"
                      Option      "UseEdidDpi" "false"
                      Option      "DPI" "110 x 110"
                  EndSection
                  Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 02, 2018, 07:19 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X