This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Mouse problem getting worse

A while back I reported that my Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse was having problems. Now it is getting worse. is Ubuntu depreciating something that might be affecting my mouse? I have tried using settings > mouse controls, but that all seems to have no effect. Maybe the KDE applet doesn't work with the kernel module -driver-. It seems to not hold click and drag unless I press really hard on the buttons and it seems to generate multiple clicks when I only press once. Like the radio signals are being grossly misread. This affects everything, closing multiple windows when I only click to close one window and screwing up games and all kinds of problems. I forgot the name of the Windows driver but it uses a universal USB radio dongle that can work with up to 8 devices. I am only using two, the mouse and a keyboard -the Logitech K350 wireless keyboard-. Does the Linux kernel have a module that can properly drive this dongle? Perhaps it doesn't separate the devices properly.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

A deteriorating condition sounds like a hardware issue. Seems highly illogical that time would worsen a driver.

I stopped buying Logitech mice because my expensive mouse started having static problems after only a year. It's been reported for many of their models. I was able to clear the static by pulling the batteries out, clicking all the buttons a few dozen times, then letting it sit over night. It got to the point where I had to do that weekly and I tossed it. I buy Tecknet cheapo mice now and have had no problems since.

Please Read Me

Comment

The age of the mechanical pieces, bad batteries, corroded connections, used up transmitter/receiver. Time for a replacement mouse.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Maybe Elon Musk should invent a mouse with a better battery. He is already building more powerful lithium batteries than all the batteries before. Just look at his Gigabit factory. He has already produced more Lithium storage in the last year than all the years since the invention of the lithium battery. Surely he can make a mouse that doesn't build up a static charge. I didn't know mice did that. Does that mean that If we electrify a piece of cheese, we can catch a mouse? ��
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I on the other hand, have three Logitech mice with no issues over the years I have had two of them. Battery life sticks for the bluetooth one, though I admit I have not turned it off since I got it, lol. The real reason I have them is that the local stores only have those and MS ones, and I do like to have my hand on them if I can, after some cheepies didn't feel good.

lol make that 4 Logitech mice, and one old MS that I don't have the receiver for, probably at the bottom of my electronics junk trunk The 4th one still works! lol

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I on the other hand, have three Logitech mice with no issues over the years>>>>>>>>>>>
            I've never had any issues with Logitech either.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
              I've never had any issues with Logitech either.
              Neither have I.
              I've got three Logitech M325 mice. One plugged in and two in reserve. I've had them for 7 yrs. I kept the spare to use when friends brought their laptops for fixing but forgot their mouse. The battery lasts about 18 months.
              https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire..._&dpSrc=detail

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 27, 2018, 11:39 AM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's still probably hardware, or even electrical. On my last rebuld, I put a new power supply into my desktop. That fixed a lot of problems.

But, other than that, I don't use a wireless mouse and other than wearing out, I've not had problems with any Logitech mouse that I've ever had.
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                  ... wireless mouse was having problems...
                  Is this on a computer connected via Wi-Fi? A change in any of
                  • the position (or even orientation) of the computer
                  • the position of the router
                  • the wireless driver in the computer
                  • other devices nearby, not necessarily connecting to the same router, nor necessarily computer devices (say, cordless phones)

can lead to interference and trigger wireless mouse problems.

On the off chance these considerations might be relevant to wireless throughput problems reported on this forum recently, I raised them asking if a wireless mouse was involved, and the poster replied yes, without the wireless mouse the problems were gone.

Also, I have a wireless Logitech mouse that was not working well some years ago (sometimes clicks didn't register) on a desktop sitting under a desk to one side. This was solved by using a USB extension cable (one end is female) so that the dongle sits on the desk close to the mouse.

Regards, John Little
                  Last edited by jlittle; Jun 27, 2018, 08:45 PM.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

That's a good idea.

However, it seems that if you are going to put the dongle on an extension cable and place the dongle close to the mouse, you may as well use a wired mouse!

Just an observation ...

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                      That's a good idea.

However, it seems that if you are going to put the dongle on an extension cable and place the dongle close to the mouse, you may as well use a wired mouse!

Just an observation ...
                      So duct taping the wireless dongle-on-cable to the top edge of the mouse pad (right next to the electrified cheese), which appears to be eligible for a Darwin award, will not be allowed! Nor will taping the dongle to the mouse itself!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Still, this seems like a good way to test the mouse dongle connection. The next step is to try an different wireless mouse and dongle.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                        So duct taping the wireless dongle-on-cable to the top edge of the mouse pad (right next to the electrified cheese), which appears to be eligible for a Darwin award, will not be allowed! Nor will taping the dongle to the mouse itself!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Still, this seems like a good way to test the mouse dongle connection. The next step is to try an different wireless mouse and dongle.
                        Good one, too!

To me, unless you've no choice but to sit - far - away from where the PC/laptop is located and can thus only communicate to the PC/laptop wirelessly there is no point to using a wireless mouse/keyboard. It's another cute gadget with a built-in failure mode. Sheesh ... !

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          Well, for me, not at all. The wire on a mouse is a nuisance.

It can annoyingly catch on things, and there needs to be much more free space around the mouse. The wire causes a varying drag, especially when the mouse is moved quickly, making movement inaccurate. All that flexing makes the wire start to fail in a year or two.

Regards, John Little
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

The wire on mine just hangs off the back of the desk and is well behaved. I taught it to sit up, roll over, and play dead, but it does require treats ...

The good news is, it doesn't bark or shed, unlike my real dog.

Just kidding - have a good weekend. Gonna go play with a Bionic Beaver ... installation.

Comment

I need your advice on mouse wire training. Mine keeps trying to crawl under the mouse pad... Not joking.
                              Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                              X