This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skypeforlinux requests keyring unlocking

Installed Skypeforlinux, and upon login it keeps asking for the default keyring to be unlocked. I am getting rather fed up of this. How stop it?

I solved that problem by deleting Skype.
    What could MS do with access to your key ring? Besides storing its encryption key I don’t know and I don’t want to find out after the fact.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Are you using autologin at boot up? If so, that can cause this. The only solution I know of is to have your keyring/kdewallet passsword blank (no password).

If you are not using autologin, try setting your keyring/wallet password to the same as your log in password.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes I am using autologin. Have kwallet password blank, but still get asked about keyring unlocking, for which the usual login password works.

Comment

In that case I believe you have to configure pam.d to allow no password at all for kwallet. Search the web for "kwallet pam.d" and look for current (plasma or KDE 5 and 2016ish) to try something there. You'll be editing /etc/pam.d/ sddm or passwd or login or all three.

Please Read Me

Comment

My solution to the pesky Skype default keyring popup was to turn off autologin.

I've now got to enter my password at every boot up, but that's probably not a bad thing really (especially on my laptop).
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Could skype be using the gnome-keyring? kwallet iirc does not use the word "keyring" in its dialogs, so I am wondering if the package has a --recommends dependency on this small bit of Gnome that is used for password storage. Might be worth checking to see if it is installed, and remove it you don't also run a non-plasma desktop. We don't need it in Plasma, kwallet settings do not affect the gnome keyring unlocking, etc.

Comment

Thanks guys! Found a way: Restored the backup partition from before installing skypeforlinux. After reinstalling, launching and loging in to skypeforlinux got the popup to choose password for the new keyring. Leaving both lines empty and confirming and Yes to leaving blank. Had to exit skypeforlinux and relogin. Voila!

Comment

Working...
                X