This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin

Can anyone explain why we can't open Dolphin as root anymore?
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

See this thread from a few days ago

Dolphin Root

plus a few others since the change made upstream by KDE.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

All I have to say is that linux allows you control over your computer. Now KDE is removing my control. If I wanted to be controlled I would have stayed with windows. To the kde developers I would say, I'm not a child and resent being treated like one.
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram

Comment

I understand your frustration but you are still free to;
        • use another desktop
        • re-compile Dolphin yourself after editing the source code
        • use a different file-manager
        • install the Dolphin "root-actions service menu"
        • communicate with the developer(s) of Dolphin and complain
        • learn to use Dolphin in the new manner
        • etc...

I presume you understand the developers are also free to create the free software we all use anyway they see fit.

I have been using KDE since version 3.0 in 2003 or so. There have been many times where I did not agree with every decision made by the devs. This one bugged me for a bit but then I thought back on how many installs are screwed up by ill-informed users with a loose grip on the dangers of root privilege. I surmise that the developers felt the same way and took steps to save some of us from ourselves - right or wrong. However, my understanding is the issue was primarily that running Dolphin as root allows unfettered access to the entire system including executing any program as root which can be very damaging to a system and is insecure as well. At this point - unable to find a better solution - it was decided to close root access from Dolphin.

The root actions service menu will allow file copying and other file-level access without also allowing execution of those files, so that's what I suggest you try.

For what's it's worth, I have read many posts venting your frustration. It's likely with enough push-back, the devs may change course once again, but likely only if a safer way to do what you ask is available.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you know the password for root on your own PC...nothing should stop you from moving a file, deleting a file, copying a file to somewhere outside of ~Home...etc. etc. using the built-in file manager​. Our PC's are not kiosks, they are our (often lovingly hand-built) computational devices. Emphasis on ours. If I'm being honest, I've had to reinstall Linux many more times due to faulty display drivers and / or borked "dist-upgrades" since 2009 than I ever have had to from my own reckless moving of files...
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I feel exactly the same way dequire. I certainly know how and when to use root actions. Taking that function away is counterproductive to me. Why do the KDE developers care anyway, there is no warranty expressed or implied and support is community based. If I bork my system I will just re-install, which I have done and most definitely learned from it. Why not just put a warning pop-up that says "Using root actions may damage your system or decrease security. Proceed y/N."
            Alienware 17 R2
            ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
            Nvidia Graphics
            16 Ram

Comment

First, nice avatar eddieg538, and a would have to agree about the decision to remove access to any practical application.

I understand what oshunluvr is sort of saying, we can't complain about free software. However the users who do complain, and to the "correct people", are the ones that care about the free software. They also can see the change is pointless and unreasonable. The others simply are not heard from again, and are using Mint or Debian next week. Speaking of other distros, I believe Debian still has a root terminal icon in the menus and doesn't require a password. I always felt that was something scary. I don't know about Mint, I will look at my stepson's PC later.

Personally I don't have this issue, since I don't jump on the latest and greatest, until I hear about all these nasty details from the forums. LOL Even so, I run a retro on my GIMP simply because I never liked the changes they made from 2.6 to 2.8.

Retrograde your dolphin would be my answer.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	643649

Comment

I don't understand why people don't use the command line to perform file actions as root...
                Code:
                sudo rm <filename>
                Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]7199[/ATTACH]
                  "I tried to compile Dolphin from corrupted source code, and the result is shown above!!"
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                    I don't understand why people don't use the command line to perform file actions as root...
                    Code:
                    sudo rm <filename>
                    Done.
                    Sure that is fine for some of us, but removing multiple files and working with them in terminal is not always "pretty". When I do use terminal, I tend to use mv instead and send the files to one of my $HOME folders before I delete them with dolphin. However just imagine you upgraded one day and they restricted root from terminal? It could happen.

Comment

Is "removing multiple files" using elevated privileges a common task?

I'm quite comfortable with removing the root option or making it non-trivial to access.
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        However just imagine you upgraded one day and they restricted root from terminal? It could happen.
                        That is highly unlikely.

Just to note, the "no root" changes in kate/dolphin were not done to "restrict users", but for basically two reasons:
                        1. Known vulnerability in the X server when starting "any" GUI application as root (by any means)...severity of the vulnerability is debatable, but it is real.
                        2. For similar security reasons, Wayland (the future X server replacement) does not allow root gui applications at all...so things need to change eventually anyway.

And even though I'm fairly critical of pushing the change before the "replacement functionality" is shipped (or even fully functional), I can certainly understand why it was done this way.

The end goal is to make root operations easier and safer for users, not to remove it completely. When the policykit integration in kio is done, you can work normally in dolphin as a user, and when you try to perform an operation you do not have permissions to do, it will ask for authorization. No need to start dolphin as root, which will make these operations simpler and easier (and safer).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                          The end goal is to make root operations easier and safer for users, not to remove it completely. When the policykit integration in kio is done, you can work normally in dolphin as a user, and when you try to perform an operation you do not have permissions to do, it will ask for authorization. No need to start dolphin as root, which will make these operations simpler and easier (and safer).
                          Fully understood. It's just the inconvenience for now plus the confusion and lack of communication reaching the average / new user that are causing issues. I'm all for the terminal, but am a firm believer that it should be optional anywhere possible in 2017. Thanks for the clarification reminder.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

FYI ,,, if you must (and I do some times) have a file manager that works in root mode ,,,,Krusader is your friend.

+ this has been said hear in this forum in several places ,,,,,the hole shebang .

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              I have read many posts venting your frustration. It's likely with enough push-back, the devs may change course once again, but likely only if a safer way to do what you ask is available.
                              we need a button to install an old dolphin real quick and freeze that version or a patch batch file.sh to revert the mod

I totally agree that this cutback of features is a major pain for about everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X