This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Package Update Tasks Hog System

For some time now, I have found that my system is using of the order of 100% of its CPU cycles after an update is complete. Today I measured the time this took and it was 5min 40s!

I found that the first task was packagekidt, then updates-apt-xapi came in and after this python3 completed the process. The system that I have Artful on is not very powerful, but I am puzzled why these tasks are executing so long after the completion of an update.

Am I wrong in thinking that these tasks are associated with the update process? If not, what the heck are they doing and why are they there after an update?

I have issues with updates-apt-xapi as well. Brings my system to a crawl and I often have to kill it. Not sure what it does...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      I have issues with updates-apt-xapi as well. Brings my system to a crawl and I often have to kill it. Not sure what it does...
      that one updates the package information index for synaptic and apt ,,,and maybe others ,,,,it gets launched once a week as a cron job and maby as a result of updates ,,,,, you could append --update to the cron script that launches it or even remove it ,,,but you may loose some info in apt searches or show's ,,,IDK it dose not bother me so I leave it alone ,,,,,look at the script and see if it has "nice" set to "-n 19" as @ hear

Code:
      #!/bin/sh

CMD=/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index

# ionice should not be called in a virtual environment
      # (similar to man-db cronjobs)
      egrep -q '(envID|VxID):.*[1-9]' /proc/self/status || IONICE=/usr/bin/ionice

# Check if we're on battery
      if which on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1; then
         on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1
         ON_BATTERY=$?

# Here we use "-eq 1" instead of "-ne 0" because
         # on_ac_power could also return 255, which means
         # it can't tell whether we are on AC or not. In
         # that case, run update-a-x-i nevertheless.
         [ "$ON_BATTERY" -eq 1 ] && exit 0
      fi

# Rebuild the index
      if [ -x "$CMD" ]
      then
         if [ -x "$IONICE" ]
         then
             nice -n 19 $IONICE -c 3 $CMD --quiet
         else
             nice -n 19 $CMD --quiet
         fi
      fi
      you can add "--update" after --quiet so it will just update the index instead of completely rebuilding it ,,,,but their must be some reason that is not the default behavior

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Sorry to say, but I have just checked the file /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index on my Artful System and it does not contain the code,

Code:
           if [ -x "$IONICE" ]
          then
          else
              nice -n 19 $CMD --quiet
          fi
        fi

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          Sorry to say, but I have just checked the file /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index on my Artful System and it does not contain the code,

Code:
             if [ -x "$IONICE" ]
          then
          else
              nice -n 19 $CMD --quiet
          fi
          fi
          no,,,no it dose not ,,,,,
          you could append --update to the cron script that launches it or even remove it
          and that script is in /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index ,,,,,,,,I am sure however that the program
          "/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index" probably gets ran by other things as well at times.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This post is based on speculation on my part. I claim no particular expertise.

IMO your problem is the result of two severe long-standing problems. I've never understood what's going on with these, only some systems are affected.

One is Heavy Disk I/O harms desktop responsiveness. 2007! That's just one of the various bugs that have been raised over the years. Changing IO schedulers can work around it; search on CFQ and deadline for discussions about that. The way it affected me was when copying GB to USB sticks; that computer was old, and it died, solving the problem for me. No amount of nicing processes will help. Most of that CPU usage is in the system flapping about rearranging virtual memory, because so many I/Os have been queued flushing code pages out, or something; I tried, but never understood.

The other is update-apt-xapian-index bogs down system. Again, that's just a representative bug report. In theory this did eventually get fixed; I'm not sure whether it is supposedly fixed in your system.

At the risk of borking your system (a backup would be a very good idea), you could try purging apt-xapian-index. Some have claimed their systems just don't need it. Some have tried installing alternative builds, but I suspect that all they achieved was installing something that crashed promptly, solving the problem. I've just run sudo apt --dry-run purge apt-xapian-index on zesty and it was going to take out muon and a couple of kubuntu components. Maybe try sudo apt install --reinstall apt-xapian-index.
            Last edited by jlittle; Oct 09, 2017, 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
            Regards, John Little

Comment

For some time now, I have found that my system is using of the order of 100% of its CPU cycles after an update is complete. Today I measured the time this took and it was 5min 40s!
              Are you updating using sudo apt-get update or are you using a GUI-based method?
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Apt-xapian-index is not required, though I believe that Muon Package Manager may depend on it as it uses the databases for search and filtering. I do not believe that this utility is installed by default, but I have not checked.

Synaptic can live without it but filtering will not work.

I personally have not had any issues with it in some years, if ever. At least I can't recall having any problems like this.

If you don't use Muon Package Manager I'd say remove it.

Also it might be worth checking if perhaps the system is hitting the swap file at the same time as the database is updated. *buntu distros do like to utilize swap too early (and uneccesarily) sometimes, which also causes CPU spiking.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  Are you updating using sudo apt-get update or are you using a GUI-based method?
                  I have just done an update using the command line instead of Discover and that worked perfectly.

I had previously thought that using the command line or Discover gave the same problem with hogging CPU. I have made the changes suggested by vinnywrigh, so I am not sure if that solved my problem. Also, I have noticed that python3 has been updated as that was one of the trio associated with hogging CPU.

For the next lot of updates I will use Discover and see if the problem arises.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Also it might be worth checking if perhaps the system is hitting the swap file at the same time as the database is updated. *buntu distros do like to utilize swap too early (and uneccesarily) sometimes, which also causes CPU spiking.
                    Totally fixable, of course.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have just done an update using the command line instead of Discover and that worked perfectly.

I had previously thought that using the command line or Discover gave the same problem with hogging CPU. I have made the changes suggested by vinnywrigh, so I am not sure if that solved my problem. Also, I have noticed that python3 has been updated as that was one of the trio associated with hogging CPU.

For the next lot of updates I will use Discover and see if the problem arises.
                      This morning I had 52 updates and I used Discover and I found that updates-apt-xapi hogged the CPU for some time after Discover was exited.

Comment

This morning I had 52 updates and I used Discover and I found that updates-apt-xapi hogged the CPU for some time after Discover was exited.
                        That's a pity because people new to Linux may prefer a GUI. I feel that Synaptic Package Manager, great as it is, isn't that "friendly" to newcomers.

IIRC, at one point, even the Baloo dev wasn't too enthused over this xapian stuff.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                        X