This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dual boot problem due to ext2fsd on Windows

I'm running Win7, Kubuntu 14.04 and 17.10, all installed on a 500GB Samsung SSD.
    After some initial (btrfs) problems with this system I returned to ext4 for the two Linux installs and are very happy with 17.10.

Until I decided to boot into Win7 to do it's updates.
    Rebooting to 17.10 was no longer possible, it stopped with an initframs message about "a tmp error occored reading a pcr value".
    In other words, the HD partition was corrupted.
    I was able to reboot into 14.04 but fsck returned the error I would need a newer version of e2fsck because of a metadata corruption.

A look around the net told me this can be caused by having ext2fsd installed on Windows, it is no longer compatible with the newer ext4.

Booting up a USB drive with 17.10 did give me the correct version of tools to get the boot and home partitions fixed.
    Last edited by Teunis; Dec 23, 2017, 12:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

Microsith strikes again

Please Read Me

Comment

I find ext2fsd very useful on my multiboot system to mount Linux and Android-x86 partitions (ext3 and ext4) from Windows (7 & 10). I have never had any boot related problems as described, but I have had erratic behaviour of Windows File Mgr when ext2fsd is installed, failing to mount a dirty ext3 or ext4 partition. https://goo.gl/TBU4zI

Comment

Working...
      X