This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot HD Grub menu avalible But only boots Kubuntu splash screen

My system froze while playing Eve On line/playonlinux. Keyboard and mouse were frozen. Pressing power did nothing. I had to use the sledge hammer method - press and hold power button until PSU cut the power - . When I tried to boot it goes to Kubuntu splash screen and hangs. I can use the grub menu to try other kernels and grub rescue mode. I even tried reinstalling grub menu. I tried all option... Nothing changes. I just get the Kubuntu splash screen.

I am using the DVD/live session to post this.

Unfortunately, I never got around to cloning @/ and @home. Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck with having to reinstall. The system is all there so probably a bad / or something.:-
    Last edited by steve7233; Oct 31, 2017, 11:43 PM. Reason: Fix typo
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

It seems something made an auto clone. Maybe that will offer a way back.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Hopefully I just fixed it. I will re boot and let you know. *fingers crossed.

Comment

I did it! I remembered almost everything, but had to Google how to roll back. I was like 'I knew that' Just had to read a little and then I remembered. Actually it was quit simple once I wadded through all the snapper crap. Now to fix steam. It lost the extra library which most of my games are stored on.

Comment

I marked it solved and then discovered that kpartitionmanager no longer works.

edit: I just marked it unresolved. Apparently rolling back @/ didn't fix everything. Maybe @/home has a bad config file or something.

Code:
          Unable to make the service KDE Partition Manager executable, aborting execution
          Last edited by steve7233; Nov 01, 2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I updated over 1400 updates - I had to use the konsole, as discovery was also broken. Discovery never asked for my root password thus it couldn't run the update. Even rebooting didn't fix it. After I did that I ran kdepartitionmanager and it worked, saw the missing HD and it updated fstab for me. I rebooted and... Broken again! The HD was working. I was looking in the Bios the other day. Maybe I accidentally changed something. I will check.

I think it has a default file. I will try loading that before trying the HD again.

Comment

When ever you roll back remember to roll back both @ and @home, OF THE SAME TIME, and not just @ or @home.

For example: after snapshots @A and @Ahome are made package B is installed and places files in @ and @home/useract. Restoring @A will not restore package B and will not remove changes made by B in @home/useract. Or, restoring from @Ahome will remove changes in the user's account made by B but won't add B to root.

I noticed that you were attempting to use the partition manager. Why?

BTW, a lot of times when you get a black screen after logging in the reason is because ~/.Xauthority has been reassigned to root. If so, change it back to you.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I got it fixed now. There was only @ back up no @home backup. I used partition manager to edit fstab and set the mount point. Everything works and after chown and telling steam where to find the steam library, all my games were back. Wew, took some thinking but I got it. I made my own clones of @ and @home in case I ever need them. Apparently apt now saves a clone at times. You still need to save manually as apt dosn't save when you think it should.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                  I got it fixed now. There was only @ back up no @home backup. I used partition manager to edit fstab and set the mount point. Everything works and after chown and telling steam where to find the steam library, all my games were back. Wew, took some thinking but I got it. I made my own clones of @ and @home in case I ever need them. Apparently apt now saves a clone at times. You still need to save manually as apt dosn't save when you think it should.
                  Partition manager to edit fstab?
                  And you didn’t damage your fs? What’s wrong with using Kate or mc or nano to edit fstab?

IIRC, you said that you installed snapper. Apt does not create subvolumes (they are not called “clones”). Some versions/settings of Snapper creates a “PRE” snapshot when apt is initiated and “POST” snapshot when it completes. It all depends on the settings in the conf file. Also, its default setting eats up disk space at a rapid rate. Snapper also creates /root/.snapshots and /home/.snapshots to store its snapshots in. IMO, they are susceptible to accidental damage because they are below @ and @home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I never said I installed snapper. I said the article I read about snapshots was using snapper. Why would I want to install something when I could do it better and faster via the CML?

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                      I never said I installed snapper. I said the article I read about snapshots was using snapper. Why would I want to install something when I could do it better and faster via the CML?
                      My bad. When you wrote:
                      Actually it was quit simple once I wadded through all the snapper crap.
                      I assumed you had installed and were using snapper. You're right. IMO, one can do backups easier with the CLI.

Comment

Don't know if you all are following my server tricks thread. but my little script there has turned into a thing of beauty. Both my server and now my desktop do daily snapshots and weekly backups without my doing anything. I think the issues "snapper" has relate at least somewhat to it trying to be the do-all for anyone. If you take some time and customize and fine-tune my script or that one, I think you'll find the btrfs shines even brighter. Combined with my btrfs subvolume service menu, we're getting closer and closer to bringing btrfs to the masses.

BTW, GG - you can have ZFS. I'm happy where I am!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X