X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology mount no longer working

Hi all,

So far, 17.10 has not been good to me. First NetworkManager threw bugs, now I can't mount my Synology anymore
    Under 17.04 I used to automount my Synology NAS using

//synology/video /path/to/mount/video cifs credentials=/myhomedir/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

In /etc/fstab. Worked like a charm. But not anymore, now I get "Operation not permitted" errors. Anyone have any idea? Adding version = 3.0 didn't work for me (found some people on Google with similar problems that used that)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

KR
    Stefan

I have a similar problem with a ntfs partition: with 17.04 automount always (fstab: LABEL=condivisa /mnt/condivisa ntfs user,exec,rw,auto 1 2), now with 17.10 sometimes no, even I changed fstab so: LABEL=condivisa /mnt/condivisa ntfs-3g defaults,user,exec,rw,auto,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0.

Comment

Doesn't Synology NAS support NFS as well as samba/cifs? Curious because NFS is generally more stable and faster I think.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

I also had issues with NFS access to a Synology, in my case the shares mounted but permissions were not working as the had previously. I've never used CIFS so I can't comment on that.

In the end I created a new share on the Synology and after a bit of messing about (on the Synology) I got it working, after that I used the same process to recreate the other shares.

I HAD to recreate my existing shares, I was unable to get the existing ones to work. I recreated them both in Kubuntu and on the Synology. You might want to try this approach.
        BTW this give read/write access to the shares, which is what I need.

In Kubuntu

Unmount your shares e.g.
        sudo umount /home/nick/ds413j/music

Then using Dolphin I deleted then recreated the share (not sure if this is entirely necessary but I was being thorough).

Assign owner and permissions:
        sudo chown -R nick /home/nick/ds413j/music/
        sudo chmod -R 777 /home/nick/ds413j/music/

Here's a sample from my /etc/fstab in Kubuntu:
        ds413j:/volume1/music /home/nick/ds413j/music nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

In Synology DSM (after creating the shares in the GUI I had to manually edit /etc/exports as the GUI doesn't seem to put the correct settings)

Synology DSM Control Panel > File Sharing NFS section
        • Enable NFS = yes
        • Enable NFSv4 support = yes
        • NFSv4 domain - leave blank
        • Advanced Settings - leave unchanged

Synology DSM Control Panel > Shared Folder
        Add your shares, assign the following privileges:

– Permissions (sample user names, you will have your own)
        ∗ admin: Read/Write
        ∗ guest: Read only

– NFS Permissions (substitute your network IP address)
        ∗ IP: 192.168.1.0/24
        ∗ Privilege: Read/Write
        ∗ Root squash: No mapping
        ∗ Asynchronous: Enabled
        ∗ Allow users to access mounted subfolders: Enabled

Now from Kubuntu login to your Synology NAS as root using ssh (substitute your NAS IP address)

ssh 192.168.1.79 -l root

• Edit the exports file
        sudo vi /etc/exports

• Change the entry for each NFS share as per this example (substitute your network IP address)
        /volume1/music 192.168.1.0/24 (rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,all_squash,sec=sys,an onuid=1024,anongid=100)

• Double-check all entries in the file have been changed
        sudo cat /etc/exports

• Initialise the newly exported directories on your NAS
        sudo exportfs -ra

From Kubuntu remount your shares:
        sudo mount -a

Note, anytime you modify a share on the Synulogy GUI you will need to edit the exports file and then initialise it.

That worked for me. Good luck.

Nick
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
        X