This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot not working possible bug in GRUB2 or BTRFS tools

Sometimes it takes 5 or more times to boot past the Kubuntu splash screen. Today it won't load past the kernel. I can't tell for sure because it scrolls by to fast for me to read, but I think maybe the FS type in fstab got corrupted. I haven't seen an update notification in about 2 weeks! Based on that I suspect BTRFS tools may be bugged. I know BTRFS runs the occasional defrag and so forth in the back ground. Maybe there is a bug that changes fstab. I am using some really old SCSI drives. Maybe really old drive tech doesn't work properly with BTRFS tools. Perhaps I should go back to ext4 until I buy new hard drives?

recovery mode failed to repair and network was broken so I couldn't access the repos. I don't remember If I cloned @. If not then I will reinstall using ext4 until this gets fixed or I buy new hard drives, probably SSD.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I doubt your problem is related to Btrfs.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nance-on-Btrfs
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What then, Grub2?
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Well really, there's no way to tell whats going wrong without any information and guessing at random targets won't be the the best way to troubleshoot this sort of problem. Also, suspecting "bugs' before any troubleshooting has taken place isn't really helpful either. I've never heard of any filesystem not working due to the interface or "age" of a drive type. These things occur at different levels. The drive connection is kernel and driver. BTRFS or any other file system doesn't interfere with hardware drivers. BTRFS does not defrag in the background unless you mount it that way with the "autodefrag" option but even with that recommended option, that would not cause your system not to boot.

Starting at the beginning; In my experience, inconsistent behavior of this sort usually points to a hardware failure. Begin with reviewing your log files after a troublesome boot to see what's causing problems. If the hard drive(s) are failing, that would explain what you're seeing. The most difficult part of troubleshooting hardware issue is the hardware itself will not typically log anything. If the logs are clean of error or warning messages, boot to a USB stick and run a hardware check on the drives first.

Please Read Me

Comment

I ran the memory test from the Grub menu. I ran a complete cycle to 100%. No problems detected. I am using the DVD. I looked at /@ via file manager and opened fstab. Everything looks good. The kernel must be misinterpeting the file system type or something. I opened a konsel, maybe this will give someone an idea.

Code:
          kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/test
          kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ mount /dev/sda /mnt/test
          mount: only root can do that
          kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt/test
          mount: /mnt/test: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
          kubuntu@kubuntu:~$
          I do not have a USB stick to test the hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
            What then, Grub2?
            No, that wouldn't make sense. Grub2, the kernel, or any software would not fail piece-meal and continue to run. Like Oshunluver says, hardware is the more likely culprit. An HD does fail bit by bit.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Kde partion manager. I can't get this web site to upload the file - smart report - but everything shows good. There are zero bad sectors reported. I made a mistake earlier. It's sdb not sda and it won't mount.

Comment

Kde partion manager. I can't get this web site to upload the file - smart report - but everything shows good. There are zero bad sectors reported. I made a mistake earlier. It's sdb not sda and it won't mount.
                Code:
                sudo parted -l
                lets see that .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  Code:
                  sudo parted -l
                  lets see that .

VINNY
                  Code:
                  kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l                                                                                                                                                                                                
                  Model: ATA ST3200822AS (scsi)                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                  Disk /dev/sda: 200GB                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B                                                                                                                                                                                        
                  Partition Table: msdos                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                  Disk Flags:                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags                                                                                                                                                                        
                  1      1049kB  200GB  200GB  primary  btrfs        boot                                                                                                                                                                         

Model: ATA ST3250823AS (scsi)                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                  Disk /dev/sdb: 250GB                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  Partition Table: gpt                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  Disk Flags:                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags                                                                                                                                                                      
                  1      1049kB  10.0GB  10.0GB  linux-swap(v1)                                                                                                                                                                                   
                  2      10.0GB  250GB   240GB   btrfs                                                                                                                                                                                            

Model: WDC WD75 00AACS-00ZJB (scsi)                                                                                                                                                                                              
                  Disk /dev/sdc: 750GB                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
                  1      1049kB  750GB  750GB  primary  btrfs

Model: WDC WD25 00BEVS-00VAT0 (scsi)
                  Disk /dev/sdd: 250GB
                  Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type     File system  Flags
                  1      1049kB  166GB  166GB   primary  ntfs
                  2      166GB   250GB  84.4GB  primary

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
                  has been opened read-only.
                  Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 (scsi)                                   
                  Disk /dev/sr0: 1758MB
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B
                  Partition Table: mac
                  Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name   Flags
                  1      2048B   6143B   4096B                Apple
                  2      1732MB  1734MB  2359kB               EFI

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$
                  sda - @/home and sdb - @/ are the two that are most important. I wish I could install with both sda and sdb configured as one big hard drive, but I could not get unity to install that way.
                  Last edited by steve7233; Jan 02, 2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

To bad Discover keeps crashing on the live dvd.

Comment

To bad Discover keeps crashing on the live dvd.
                      Discoverer is not ready for prime time. Use Muon instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Muon isn't on the live dvd. Discover seems to work when I can boot the installed version. Which is somehow broken at the moment. I might have to reinstall, but I haven't made that decision yet.

Comment

Is synaptic on the Live?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Is synaptic on the Live?
                            A search came up negative.

Comment

Once again and for the past several years and having occurred in both the states of California and in Utah and with three totally different computers and more than three different ISPs. I try to submit a reply and there is an error and I wind up having to copy the message, close the tab and reload the web site and then navigate to the thread. Then I can use [ctrl]+[v] to paste back the message. Only then can I successfully submit my message. I hope you pay attention this time and find and fix this several year spanning bug as I have mentioned it several times over the past few years. I don't see it on other web sites so it's probably a misconfiguration in your PHP software settings or something like that.

Here is my message.
                              where are the boot log files? Is everything in /var/log or someplace else? If all in /var/log then you should know that some of those are completely empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X