X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Macintosh files

Hello,

I am trying to access my Macintosh file system via my Kubuntu 17.04 laptop with KDE Plasma 5.10.2. I had this working in Ubuntu Unity but it fails in Kubuntu. I can find my Mac in Dolphin but it does not seem to accept the user and password. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Matt

Have you installed hfsplug and hfsutils
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is confusing. Are you booting to Kubuntu on a Mac and trying to read the files in the Mac partition or are you trying to access a Mac via a network connection? These are completely different things. You might consider making your post clearer by clearly explaining what you want to do, what you've tried, and what your results were. Also, there's no such thing as too much detail.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for replying. No. I am not booting Kubuntu on a Mac. Kubuntu is the OS on my Dell laptop and I need to access my Macintosh on my network. I had it working when I used Ubuntu Unity on the Dell. As for the detail, there isn't much. I open Dolphin, click on the Network icon find my Macintosh and try to connect. I enter my user name and password when the window pops up and asks, then it tries to connect but fails and brings back the user and password dialog. I encountered this once a year or two ago but I don't remember where I found the answer last time.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Have you installed hfsplug and hfsutils
          Thank you for your reply. Yes, I installed these packages but to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by smeeagn View Post
            Thank you for your reply. Yes, I installed these packages but to no avail.
            This would be expected, they wouldn't make a difference because you're trying to access a network file system not a hard drive file system.

How to proceed depends on which file sharing (network file system) your Mac is using. It's likely either NFS or SAMBA. Most likely, it's SAMBA. Start searching for answers there. Possibly you need to install smbclient. Once that's installed try:

smbclient -L <ip_of_mac> -U <your_user_name>

This should show you to what shares are available on a server. If you get nothing, you are going to have to figure out what's mis-configured

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              This would be expected, they wouldn't make a difference because you're trying to access a network file system not a hard drive file system.

How to proceed depends on which file sharing (network file system) your Mac is using. It's likely either NFS or SAMBA. Most likely, it's SAMBA. Start searching for answers there. Possibly you need to install smbclient. Once that's installed try:

smbclient -L <ip_of_mac> -U <your_user_name>

This should show you to what shares are available on a server. If you get nothing, you are going to have to figure out what's mis-configured
              Thank you. I will try your suggestions and let you know what I find.

Comment

Ok, Once again, thank you for your patience and advice. Here is what I did to resolve the issue. The advice about Samba got me thinking so I went to Windows Shares and added a user and password since those boxes appeared blank. When that didn't work, I clicked the "Defaults" button, went to back Network in Dolphin again and was able to access my Mac after inputting the same user name and password as before. I'm not sure why that worked, but it did. I'll chalk it up to a lucky break on a lovely Saturday afternoon and will enjoy the rest of my day and hope you do the same. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X