Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with permissions on data partition???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better be wearing Diamond Armor enhanced with Unbreaking, Mending, Fire Protection, Projectile Protection and Explosion Protection if you start nit picking with oshunluver! Oh, and have your firewall up and running!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Due to work related issues, I did not have time to work on this last week and I had to use Windows 10. When I came back to it today I was back where I started – my data partition was read only again and I could not save documents or open a virtual machine (kept on data partition). I booted into Windows and all files were read only. I “changed” them as before. I also followed John Little’s advice, at lest as understood it, and changed my fstab entry from “/dev/sda9 /media/Data_NTFS ntfs defaults 0 0” to “/dev/sda9 /media/Data_NTFS ntfs-3g uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0 0 0”
      Linux permissions show me as owner, but the partition is still read only.
      Very frustrating.
      "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
      Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
      HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

Comment

Since we are not privy to all that you did while installing Kubuntu or what you did afterwards to fix problems you have, there comes a point when it is a LOT quicker to reinstall rather than trying to putz around fixing stuff. If you do reinstall, avoid doing anything fancy. Do a default installation but do not check the boxes offering to update during the installation. Do that process after your are up and running.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks Grey Geek, I think you are correct. I will try to get that done this evening. Do you recommend Kubuntu or Neon based on Kubuntu? Also does the fstab entry look ok for mounting the data partition?
          "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
            Thanks Grey Geek, I think you are correct. I will try to get that done this evening. Do you recommend Kubuntu or Neon based on Kubuntu? Also does the fstab entry look ok for mounting the data partition?
            Well, I'm extremely bias! My choice would be KDE Neon User Edition using Btrfs as the file system. Why do you want to use ntfs? I think ntfs is the path to sorrows.

Comment

I have ntfs on my data partition only so that I can access documents when I have to run Win 10

By the way, how can Window 10 read an ext3 partition when it is on another linux box on the network, but not0.14in read it on the same computer?
              Last edited by okie2003; Jun 28, 2017, 11:11 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

I have ntfs on my data partition only so that I can access documents when I have to run Win 10

By the way, how can Window 10 read an ext3 partition when it is on another linux box on the network, but not0.14in read it on the same computer?
                Microsoft and Conical (Ubuntu) worked together to get BASH onto Win10 (but not the KDE or GNOME DE) and besides, since EXT3 is open source, anyone can create interfaces for it. NTFS is proprietary and any interface to it is green boxed. NTFS-3G is an open source cross-platform implementation of the Microsoft Windows NTFS file system with read-write support. It is also a stable, full-featured, read-write NTFS driver for Linux, Android, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, QNX, Haiku, and other operating systems. Win10 is relatively new and Microsoft keeps updating it regularly. I suspect that Microsoft is tweaking Win10 to block NTFS-3G from performing well. Perhaps the NTFS-3G team will work out a way around the impediments that MS is probably throwing up in its path, but the next MS tweak will probably break it. Classic MS. They have fought interoperability with Linux for decades.

My solution to the conflict was to drop Windows entirely, nine years ago. That one Window program I do keep around (Parker IQAN PCL dev tool) runs perfectly under WINE.

Comment

OS's read file systems. File systems reside on devices like hard drives but also exist as network file systems. So Windows 10 isn't reading ext3, it's reading NFS (which literally stands for "Network File System"). Windows 10 has no way of detecting what file system is in use on other computers and it wouldn't matter if it could. It's simply reading the NFS file system just like a Linux box would.

I've never had a need so I can't vouch for it's functionality, but this does exist: http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

Please Read Me

Comment

Another great way to share documents between OSs is Dropbox or something similar.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all y'all's information. I am working to reinstall.

Comment

Working...
                      X