This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Python3-pip install problem

Let me start by saying I have limited experience with Linux and this very well may be an easy to answer question.

My dilemma is I am attempting to install hangups through the terminal which requires I install python3-pip first sudo apt-get install python3-pip upon entering this command I receive this message in error The following packages have unmet dependencies: python3-pip : Depends: python-pip-whl (= 8.1.2-2ubuntu0.1) but 8.1.2-3 is to be installed E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Prior it was Recommending to install setuptools, dev, and whl, as well within that same error message, but I was able to remedy that by searching through multiple threads, which piggybacking off of that point I have done a solid two to three hours of research on this topic scouring threads on different websites, but nothing seems to be working. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

*I am running the most recent version of Kubuntu btw if that accounts for anything.

Thanks in advance.

Did some research **solved

Comment

And you aren't going to share 'how'?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My apologies

found it over here on stack exchange

First I did a sudo apt-get update
        then sudo apt-get clean
        sudo apt-get autoclean

then followed this gentlemans advice
        334 down vote
        Ubuntu 12.10+ and Fedora 13+ have a package called python3-pip which will install pip-3.2 (or pip-3.3, pip-3.4 or pip3 for newer versions) without needing this jumping through hoops.

I came across this and fixed this without needing the likes of wget or virtualenvs (assuming Ubuntu 12.04):
        1. Install package python3-setuptools: run sudo aptitude install python3-setuptools, this will give you the command easy_install3.
        2. Install pip using Python 3's setuptools: run sudo easy_install3 pip, this will give you the command pip-3.2 like kev's solution.
        3. Install your PyPI packages: run sudo pip-3.2 install <package> (installing python packages into your base system requires root, of course).
        4. Profit!

Comment

Apologies not required.

When a solution to a posted issue is found, posting it helps others who may have the same problem, so, thank you for posting what you found.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X