This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange gcc 6.2.0 output problem

Hi, I’m new here so please excuse me if I’ve posted in the wrong section.
    I have recently updated from Kubuntu 16.04 to Kubuntu 16.10 which comes with gcc 6.2.0.
    If I try to launch an application compiled with gcc 6.2.0 from Dolphin (or Krusader) it doesn’t work.

Instead I get the “Choose application” window. By right-clicking on the file, file properties, file type options, it looks like the file is seen as a shared lib (although it isn’t, it’s an executable). If launched from the console, app works as expected.
    The problem doesn’t appear if the application is complied with clang.
    I’ve added a few screenshots to illustrate the problem.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Is the file you are trying to run set as executable ?

Comment

Yes, it is.
      gcc -o hwc hwc.c does not work.
      clang -o hwc hwc.c works.
      Executables compiled with older versions of gcc also work.

Comment

What happens if you try and run it in a terminal?

(I'm still on Xenial but have gcc 6.2.0 from the ubuntu-toolchain-r/test ppa, and have no trouble.)
        Regards, John Little

Comment

As I said in my original post, launching it from the terminal works as expected.

Comment

Strange. If I compress with UPX an executable compiled with gcc 6.2.0, I get a segmentation fault. This does not happen to executables compiled with clang or older versions of gcc.
            UPX 3.91

Comment

Originally posted by Nokturnis View Post
              As I said in my original post, launching it from the terminal works as expected.
              Sorry, I missed that.

Dolphin sees my 6.2 binaries as "application/x-executable", but yours are showing as "application/x-sharedlib". This is appropriate for .so files (I presume, because on my system they do.) What does the file command say? I expect it will say
              Code:
              hwc: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=[i]whatever in hex[/i], not stripped
              I wonder if you have an alias, environment variable, or rc file influencing gcc. If I add -fPIC -shared to the gcc command, I get an application/sharelib, but the executable crashes instantly. There are also "specs" files, but if you wouldn't have changed something there without understanding it.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

file command for exe compiled with gcc:
                Code:
                hwc: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=hex number, not stripped
                compiled with clang:
                Code:
                hwc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, not stripped
                I have not touched the "specs" files and the env command doesn't show any strange environment variable.
                Could something have happened during the update from 16.04 to 16.10?

Comment

Problem still exists. I did a "gcc -dumpspecs" but I don't know where or what to look.
                  dumpedspecs.txt.zip

Comment

Try building with the "-no-pie" option for gcc.
                    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/PIE

Comment

YES!!! Now it works! Thank you!
                      Any idea how to make this default?

Comment

Working...
                      X