This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't copy or save to Desktop

Title says it all. I have a script that outputs a text file to /home/charles/Desktop/. The file never appears. It shows up in Dolphin, though.
    I can't even move or copy a file to the literal desktop. When I try to drag a file or folder from Dolphin to the Desktop, a small dialog box appears with "Widgets, Folder View, Icon".
    Trying to do it with the command mv /home/charles/filename /home/charles/Desktop gives the same results...shows up in Dolphin but not on the actual, literal desktop.

I'm stumped.

TIA,
    Charles

I'm sorry for the previous post. I just found the answer on another forum. Right click Desktop, choose Unlock widgets, right click again, choose Desktop settings, and then 'Folder View' from the layout dropdown. Wonder why that isn't the default?

Comment

It's not clear what you're trying to create on the visible desktop.

Usually the desktop holds widgets and icons linked to a particular application, for instance link to start a browser or open a word processor.

First check (right click on desktop) that the option to lock/unlock widgets is shown as "lock widgets", which means it is currently UNlocked. Click to change between locked/unlocked.

If you RIGHT click on a file (for instance a text file (xxx.txt) in Dolphin, drag to an open space on the desktop and choose "Icon", you will (should) get a new icon on the desktop.

What happens on your desktop when you do this?

[edit] you beat me to it. Remember to lock your desktop widgets again after you do this. Default is locked, and this makes it harder to mess up your desktop with random items.

Personally, I don't use "folder view" because Dolphin (or any other file manager) will give you access to folders. I use the "default desktop" view to display links to all my usual applications.
      It really is your choice.
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Oct 21, 2016, 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelting agian...
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
      X