Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please do not add our staging ppa to any system unless you REALLY know what you are doing or have been asked to test by the team.

Because...

- They are work in progress development builds that may be buggy, broken or incomplete.
    - Each ppa may not be useable in isolation. e.g. in this case, just using staging-plasma is bound to cause breakages, as the packages in there are designed to be used in conjunction with some other ppas.
    - We may add, remove, replace or even clear those ppa without notice. So you may find yourself with stuff that you can't re-install, fix, change, or with updates that break what did previously work.
    - and... Just don't.
    Last edited by acheron; Nov 25, 2016, 09:26 AM.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      Please do not add our staging ppa to any system unless you REALLY know what you are doing or have been asked to test by the team.

Because...

- They are work in progress development builds that may be buggy, broken or incomplete.
      - Each ppa may not be useable in isolation. e.g. in this case, just using staging-plasma is bound to cause breakages, as the packages in there are designed to be used in conjunction with some other ppas.
      - We may add, remove, replace or even clear those ppa without notice. So you may find yourself with stuff that you can't re-install, fix, change, or with updates that break what did previously work.
      - and... Just don't.
      Thanks for the insight into what I am doing. My Zesty system, that I am prepared to sacrifice, is used for testing, so I have added additional repositories. From what you said, I was challenged to find and add the following repositories:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-kdeapplications
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-misc
      At first the system was rather unstable and I went through using Synaptic with the search keyword "plasma" and went though to add many 5.8.3 packages and remove the 5.7.5 ones. In the end my system now looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE_Plasma5.8.3.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	643411

I must say that the system is not perfect but it is certainly in a very usable state and I am impressed with the progress that has been made. Keep up the good work. I enjoy using this system and watching the improvements that are being made. I am doing this post on my Zesty system with all the above risky repositories.

Comment

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-kdeapplications
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-misc
        Those will have nothing useful for zesty in them.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          My Zesty system, that I am prepared to sacrifice, is used for testing, so I have added additional repositories.
          Would you like to sacrifice it for a very noble cause? <evil grins>

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
            You wouldn't?

:P

Comment

Those will have nothing useful for zesty in them.
              Thanks for that as I was wanting to add all the repositories that would give me a chance to get it working OK. Initially my desktop would not work when I started any process such as Konsole.

Comment

You wouldn't?

:P
                Only in the interest of development and testing, not cause I secretly like to see stuff crash and burn!

Comment

Only in the interest of development and testing, not cause I secretly like to see stuff crash and burn!
                  I have a feeling noworries already tried what you are suggesting earlier in the year?

Comment

Well I enjoy a challenge as I feel it keeps me young as I approach 70

Comment

BTW, is there such a thing as a secret or testers only sub-forum on here?

Comment

There isn't, but one could be created. A precedence for such alread exists in the Admin Chat sub-forum, visible/available only to KFN Administrators. I'll bring this up with Open Source, our host and KFN owner.

How would you propose identifying testers? Would they be KubuntuTesters? I'd think they should be. Existing KubuntuTesters would need to join KFN.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          How would you propose identifying testers? Would they be KubuntuTesters? I'd think they should be. Existing KubuntuTesters would need to join KFN.
                          Someone who understands what testing means! If it breaks your system, kills your kittens or pushes your granny down the stairs, then don't come crying to the developers! You are volunteering your system for the greater good and hopefully provide useful details and feedback so the problems can be fixed.

I am very wary of making available any kind of experimental software due to a number of internet publications writing full blown instruction on how to install software from my Personal Package Archives (PPAs), despite warnings not to do so. Then getting bombarded with emails when it broke their system or didn't work as the author had outlined. Once bitten, twice shy as they say!

Comment

Working...
                          X