X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.10 does not boot after installation

Hello everybody,

I am using a Dell workstation T3500 and a level 1 Raid array. I recently upgraded from kubuntu 16.04.1 to 16.10. Everything went smooth, but Kubuntu only bootet into the grub menu and from there It only took me into the emergency mode.

As I could not solve this issue, I did a complete installation using the Live CD, installing out of the Live version. Everything went perfectly again, but now Kubuntu does not start at all and i even cannot open the grub start menu.. The Live Version can still be bootet and Ican access all partitions an folders.

Any idea what could have gone wrong during a standard installation?

Any support is highly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Did you verify the ISO after you downloaded it and then verify the LiveCD as well?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good morning GreyGeek,

Thanks for your reply but yes, I did verify the ISO after both downloading and burning it to DVD.

Comment

What is the last thing you see on screen when attempting to boot?

Comment

Hi,

It stops right after RAID output section with a blinking cursor and I can't even open the grub 2 starting menu.

Also, If I run bootinfoscript from within the Live Version, I get a very strange output in the RESULTS.txt:

Code:
                            Boot Info Script 0.61      [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

kubuntu-vg-root': ______________________________________________________________

File system:       
              Boot sector type:  Unknown
              Boot sector info: 
              Mounting failed:   mount: unknown filesystem type ''

kubuntu-vg-swap_1': ____________________________________________________________

File system:       
              Boot sector type:  Unknown
              Boot sector info: 
          mount: unknown filesystem type ''

mapper/isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY: ___________________________________________________

File system:       
              Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99)
              Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the boot sector of 
                                 mapper/isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY and looks at sector 1 of 
                                 the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not 
                                 be found at this location.

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

no valid partition table found
          "blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs   
          /dev/mapper/isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY                                                   
          /dev/mapper/isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY1 2e7a4d8a-d952-4a9f-a816-e9c57ba87d33   ext2       
          /dev/mapper/isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY5 u2g4ZO-Hm8t-4O8H-4pOE-eU6S-C04f-kBUaKl LVM2_member 
          /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root d065438a-d692-49a4-9dfc-6b2918230a74   ext4       
          /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-swap_1 5aec7d70-e264-4926-8094-e80370979bb3   swap       
          /dev/sda                                                isw_raid_member 
          /dev/sdb                                                isw_raid_member 
          /dev/sr0         2016-10-12-20-17-36-00                 iso9660    Kubuntu 16.10 amd64

========================= "ls -R /dev/mapper/" output: =========================

/dev/mapper:
          control
          isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY
          isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY1
          isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY2
          isw_bdaecdecfh_ARRAY5
          kubuntu--vg-root
          kubuntu--vg-swap_1

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
          /dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (ro,noatime)

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on kubuntu-vg-root'

Unknown BootLoader on kubuntu-vg-swap_1'

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdc sdd 

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

skip_dev_dir: Couldn't split up device name kubuntu-vg-root'.
            Volume group name "kubuntu-vg-root'" has invalid characters.
            Cannot process volume group kubuntu-vg-root'
          hexdump: /dev/mapper/kubuntu-vg-root': No such file or directory
          hexdump: /dev/mapper/kubuntu-vg-root': No such file or directory
            skip_dev_dir: Couldn't split up device name kubuntu-vg-swap_1'.
            Volume group name "kubuntu-vg-swap_1'" has invalid characters.
            Cannot process volume group kubuntu-vg-swap_1'
          hexdump: /dev/mapper/kubuntu-vg-swap_1': No such file or directory
          hexdump: /dev/mapper/kubuntu-vg-swap_1': No such file or directory
          However, in the Live Version I can see my HDD as device 453,3 GB Festplatte (HDD) and I can access (probably) all the folders on there.

Comment

Maybe your grub got installed in some wrong location. You can try this to repair it with live CD
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

I might be wrong, but it seems you might be having both hardware raid and software raid and lvm setup there. some might be leftovers from before and it might be confusing installer. If you are doing clean install, I would disable hardware raid in bios, unless you know you have worthy raid controller in that machine (which i doubt based on $250 price for dell T3500 on Amazon), and reinstall using docs for software raid and LVM: https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...tallation.html

Comment

... and there's Boot-Repair, also. Not sure about all the raid stuff and such, but you can look into it, as well.
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Do you have a machine with windows in a double boot?
                The emergency mode after the grub often comes when windows didn't close properly. In this case you have to deactivate the fast boot fron win

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the information. No there is no Windows installation on that PC. But I did a complete clean install of Kubuntu 16.10 with the RAID configuration disabled and t worked fine. Don't know, why it would not work with my RAID ARRAY, which stll worked with 16.04!?

Comment

I think it was just randomness. You had in effect the same drives visible as two raid setups - one resulting from hardware configuration in bios and other from software raid which configured during setup (which I believe might be better option for you considering the hardware you have). grub referenced wrong raid setup when creating config file. With 16.04 it probably, also randomly, referenced the correct setup. In both scenarios you had 50% chance of failure.

Comment

Yeah, obviously, you are right. I wouldn't have thought a raid controller could cause these troubles, at least with Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X