This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDE for Python

I have decided to get back into programming due to a side project that I've been putting on the back-burner for way too long.

I worked through a few tutorials about Android software development and I'm quite impressed with Android Studio for this purpose, but I just did that to have some background knowledge / understanding of the android platform. My Project is something I will do in Python so now I'm looking for an IDE to use.

PyCharm and Wing are way outside of my hobbyist budget. Komodo Edit frustrates me because it doesn't seem to have many features? Can't even Run the module? And Eclipse with PyDev which I heard/read many good things about seems worse than just using Kate. I actually like Kate.

Some time ago I used Kdevelop but now I want more - I want Python cleverness, I want good templates and auto-complete and I want it to auto-import dependencies and auto-complete from those. I want auto-indent to work properly (Why does Eclipse with PyDev not get at least this right?)

I suspect my Eclipse+PyDev is broken, I can't believe that it works as badly as I'm experiencing it! It is ridiculous.

The next IDE I want to look at again is Kdevelop with a Python plugin? There is kdev-python but that seems elusive as well.

So what other options do I have? What do you recommend? The Reviews/comparisons I find online also seem mostly rather out of date :-(

Is there any Python IDE that can automate creation of a virtualenv for the project or even for its modules?
    Last edited by Tahaan; Oct 19, 2016, 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm currently using Eric. It has the advantages of being lightweight and speedy, but it's not brilliantly documented, and I'm unimpressed with its templates and context-sensitive autocompletion. But it might be that I haven't worked out how to set them up properly. It's good in project management and very good in debugging. Pretty good in editing; autoindent is reliable.

I've used Eclipse for Java included Android development, and I'm considering going to Eclipse + PyDev. I find there's a lot more community support for Eclipse so I have a feeling it would be easier to resolve issues with that than with Eric.

Creation of a virtualenv is something I can't comment on ... am I missing something cool?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      I'm currently using Eric. It has the advantages of being lightweight and speedy, but it's not brilliantly documented, and I'm unimpressed with its templates and context-sensitive autocompletion. But it might be that I haven't worked out how to set them up properly. It's good in project management and very good in debugging. Pretty good in editing; autoindent is reliable.
      I've used Eric a long time ago and I hated the interface, but I will give it a bash again.

I've used Eclipse for Java included Android development, and I'm considering going to Eclipse + PyDev. I find there's a lot more community support for Eclipse so I have a feeling it would be easier to resolve issues with that than with Eric.
      I just installed Yakkety yak in a spare partition and one good thing: kde-python doesn't actually clash with kdevelop as it does in Neon, which is rather a pain...

Creation of a virtualenv is something I can't comment on ... am I missing something cool?
      I really suspect my installation of Eclipse_PyDev is broken or that I'm missing something because in the reviews it ticks all the boxes and I just can't get it to work.

I have never seen as IDE that auto-create virtualenv. In case you don't know what it is:

It is a python tool which sets up your "environment" so that your host computer's installed versions' of tools and interpreter version(s) don't clash with that of your development work. If you perform pip install "inside" a virtualenv, the packages affects only that virtualenv. This is, as far as I can tell, achieved by
      a) a directory containing copies of critical bits, such as the python interpreter, libraries and tools
      b) Environment variables which makes python automatically use the copies installed inside this virtualenv (PYTHONPATH, maybe some others)

To me it just makes sense to have a "tickbox" when you create a project (or even a module) to "automate" this.

Comment

Aha, thanks. My development needs aren't advanced enough to need different versions from the host installed versions
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
        X