This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer slows down?

This doesn't always happen but it's curious when it does.

Sometimes...
    ...as the day goes on the response time of things like... mouse hovering over, clicking on things, typing on the keyboard, can start to take longer and longer to respond.
    Usually I reboot and that fixes it.

Any ideas on what can cause this?
    Greg
    W9WD

When that happens on my computer, its usually a browser (99% of the time Firefox) that is either leaking memory or has an unresponsive script running. I usually kill the browser if possible and that clears it up.

Comment

Restart browser, maybe a re-boot (which is kind of drastic), or I usually do a "Ctrl-ALT-Backspace" key combination, which on my 14.04 restarts the Desktop/KDE, and that freshens things up. I'm not sure, but maybe also try clearing the caches and such, like running Bleachbit ( a cleaner for Linus/Ubuntu), or at least clear out the caches in your browser(s).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Kind of what I was expecting.
        Thanks guys
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

Sounds like something eating up your I/O times.. Are your Ram, or Disk(s) doing anything unusual when this happens?
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
            Sounds like something eating up your I/O times.. Are your Ram, or Disk(s) doing anything unusual when this happens?
            Not that I am aware of.
            Is there a way to tell? Somewhere to look?
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
              Not that I am aware of.
              Is there a way to tell? Somewhere to look?
              HTOP
              KSysGuard
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Sounds like full memory and swapping. Next time you're on there for awhile, open a terminal and type "free" and leave the terminal window open, then when it slows down, type "free" again and see if swap is in use. There's been several plasma widgets that have memory leaks - meaning they eventually fill memory with garbage. Ksysguard will show this also.

Instead of rebooting, try logging out and back in.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Sounds like full memory and swapping. Next time you're on there for awhile, open a terminal and type "free" and leave the terminal window open, then when it slows down, type "free" again and see if swap is in use. There's been several plasma widgets that have memory leaks - meaning they eventually fill memory with garbage. Ksysguard will show this also.

Instead of rebooting, try logging out and back in.
                  That's a pretty slick little program
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

I'm currently using FF 60.1. I've experienced slowdowns while using FF and after closing it. When I look at the services some zombie FF threads are still running. I kill them and things return back to normal. I've noticed that behavior since FF 54, IIRC.

FF 60.1 also, on occasions and for unknown reasons, fails to bring up a tab on a known and existing website and displays the following:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	bad_tab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	643922

Once that tab image appears retrying is not useful. Even copying the URL and opening another tab and pasting that URL in fails. The only way I've found is to "copy link location", open an empty tab, and paste the link location into the URL.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 06, 2018, 10:15 AM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I'm currently using FF 60.1.
                      FWIW, in Kubuntu bionic I've got firefox 61.0, since the 6th of July. No mention of memory fixes in the release notes.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                        FWIW, in Kubuntu bionic I've got firefox 61.0, since the 6th of July. No mention of memory fixes in the release notes.
                        This morning after I booted up I noticed an upgrade notice in the system tray. It was FF 61.0.1 I'm running it now. My biggest problem with FF 60 was when I opened a link in a new tab it often crashed the tab. I'm watching for that misbehavior in this release.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X