X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing past images from the Desktop Settings

HI.

Using the Desktop Settings dialogue, I have chosen a few wallpapers from my own folders in the past. Now I want to get rid of them from the history window (i.e. the first four shown in the attached image). How should I go about it? I'd imagine I can modify something in my ~/.config folder, but I can't figure out what that is. Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I don't have ~/.local/share/wallpapers folder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma_desktop_settings..png
Views:	1
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	649274
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

When you hover the mouse over the wallpaper in the above window, you should see a white folder icon appear on the left and "NO" symbol icon (a red circle with a line through it) on the right of the image. Clicking on the folder opens the wallpaper file and clicking on the NO icon turns it (the icon) into a "Back" icon (red arrow circling the the left) and the wallpaper image fades. If you click on the Back icon, it will restore the wallpaper image to normal. If you click OK and close the window, the wallpaper will not be there next time you open it.

If you aren't seeing these icons, you are either using an older release of Plasma than me, or your theme doesn't display them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Another possibility is you have put all your wallpapers in /usr/share/wallpapers, which require root access to remove so you can't remove those. In that case, you would have to delete (or move) the files out of /usr/share/wallpapers. That's why you would normal use a local folder in your home to hold your personal wallpapers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        When you hover the mouse over the wallpaper in the above window, you should see a white folder icon appear on the left and "NO" symbol icon (a red circle with a line through it) on the right of the image. Clicking on the folder opens the wallpaper file and clicking on the NO icon turns it (the icon) into a "Back" icon (red arrow circling the the left) and the wallpaper image fades. If you click on the Back icon, it will restore the wallpaper image to normal. If you click OK and close the window, the wallpaper will not be there next time you open it.

If you aren't seeing these icons, you are either using an older release of Plasma than me, or your theme doesn't display them.
        Thanks for the reply. I don't see those icons or folders at all. I use the version of Plasma/KDE that comes with Kubuntu 16.04.

$ kf5-config --version
        Qt: 5.5.1
        KDE Frameworks: 5.18.0

$ plasmashell -v
        plasmashell 5.5.5

Upgrading to a newer distro (such as 17.10) is not an option. I also don't have anything under /usr/share/wallpapers except for the "Next" folder, which came with the OS. Is there any way I can remove those images by editing some config files?

Thanks again

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Plasma configuration file

Plasma 5 configuration file $HOME/.config/plasmarc has list of the user image wallpapers.

Last edited by Rog131; Jan 19, 2018, 02:08 PM.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Might be the plasma version. @Here on KDEneon:

Qt: 5.9.3
            KDE Frameworks: 5.42.0
            plasmashell 5.11.5

You're way behind. Those are 16.04.0 versions. Have you updated your packages since you installed? You can upgrade to a much newer version of plasma without doing a new install, just enable the backports ppa: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports

If you do that and do "sudo apt full-update" (likely over 400 packages) you'll end up with:

Qt: 5.6.1
            KDE Frameworks: 5.36.0
            plasmashell 5.8.8

This will get you this functionality and you'll be up to 16.04.3. To be sure I just tested it on a vbox install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
              Plasma 5 configuration file $HOME/.config/plasmarc has list of the user image wallpapers.
              That's EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thank you very much!

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Might be the plasma version. @Here on KDEneon:

Qt: 5.9.3
                KDE Frameworks: 5.42.0
                plasmashell 5.11.5

You're way behind. Those are 16.04.0 versions. Have you updated your packages since you installed? You can upgrade to a much newer version of plasma without doing a new install, just enable the backports ppa: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports

If you do that and do "sudo apt full-update" (likely over 400 packages) you'll end up with:

Qt: 5.6.1
                KDE Frameworks: 5.36.0
                plasmashell 5.8.8

This will get you this functionality and you'll be up to 16.04.3. To be sure I just tested it on a vbox install.
                I did that last week when I first installed 16.04.3 on my work box. Plasma/KDE started to act up after that, including kargc (sp?) and konsole crashing randomly. It was not stable enough for my work environment. I re-installed 16.04.3 without the KDE backports, and it's been very stable since.

And yes, I update the packages pretty often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	update_manager..png
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	643732
                Last edited by daihard; Jan 19, 2018, 03:31 PM.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                X