Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to install Firefox 55.02 after having deleting it, installed 45.02 and having als

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to install Firefox 55.02 after having deleting it, installed 45.02 and having als

Hello everybody,

as Firefox updates automatically its browser, which disturbed me, I've been deleting FF 55.02 and installing FF45.02. But FF45.02 has other problems. I purged FF45.02 and I fail to install FF55.02 again in Kubuntu 16.04. I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox=55.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    In both cases the answer is
    Code:
    E: Konnte Sperre /var/lib/dpkg/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)
    E: Sperren des Administrationsverzeichnisses (/var/lib/dpkg/) nicht möglich, wird es von einem anderen Prozess verwendet?
    which means
    Code:
    E: Could not obtain the lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock (11:the ressource is no where to be found)
    E: Unable to lock the folder (/var/lib/dpkg/), could it be used by another process?
    I added one line in prefs.js to prevent updating yesterday but I no longer find this line in this file.

I would be happy to be helped :-)
    Last edited by nicrnicr; Sep 09, 2017, 11:52 AM.

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
    In both cases the answer is
    Code:
    E: Konnte Sperre /var/lib/dpkg/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)
    E: Sperren des Administrationsverzeichnisses (/var/lib/dpkg/) nicht möglich, wird es von einem anderen Prozess verwendet?
    which means
    Code:
    E: Could not obtain the lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock (11:the ressource is no where to be found)
    E: Unable to lock the folder (/var/lib/dpkg/), could it be used by another process?
    I added one line in prefs.js to prevent updating yesterday but I no longer find this line in this file.

I would be happy to be helped :-)
    the "prefs.js" should not be edited by hand wile firefox is running as it will get over wrote on closing firefox ,,,,you change these kind of things in about:config typed in firefoxes address bar

the "lock" problem is usually caused by a update/upgrade/package install getting interrupted before completion ,,,or you had a package manager open at the time .

the usual fix is to
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you very much Vinny!
      I wrote
      Code:
      than
      Code:
      FF could be installed but the same problem surges as by FF45.02: It opens and closes automatically just after having been opened.
      Last edited by nicrnicr; Sep 09, 2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

FireFox is soon to join Chromium in restricting access to internal functions and also free speech on the Internet.

My fix was/is to drop FireFox and install PaleMoon, which will not be following down FF57's pathway.

Today I found out that it is not possible to EXPORT bookmarks from Vivaldi, so I am dropping it as well. Midori is a little different and PaleMoon is a better FF, so it will be my new preferred browser. Also, like FF, it allows me to set proxies. Vivaldi follows Chromium in that you have to set a proxy using "Chromium-options ..." switch when you start it up. Not a very convenient method and extremely limited if you need several proxy settings.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much Vinny!
          I wrote
          Code:
          than
          Code:
          FF has been installed but the same problem surges as by FF45.02: It opens and closes automatically just after having been opened.
          IF ,,,,, your /home/you/.mozilla was not removed with the uninstalling of firefox 55.0.2 their may be some ,,,,,,config issues going on ,,,,, I would close firefox and rename it ,,to .mozilla.old and let a new one get created on starting firefox .

you will lose your bookmarks and any customizing you have done ,,,,,,but the bookmarks can be re-imported to the new config.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Thank you very very much VINNY! You are great! I*did what you wrote and now FF works.

I*duplicated my xxxx.default folder before I*downgraded. I put it in the new FF55.02 and it seems to be alright. I'm particularly happy to find again the tabs that I had before I*left FF55.02 :-)

@GreyGeek:*Indeed FF tends to be like Chromium in a way, but I*read that from FF57 on, the add-ons will be working for all futures version of FF. That's quit good!

I will try PaleMoon.

Comment

Thank you very very much VINNY! You are great! I*did what you wrote and now FF works.

I*duplicated my xxxx.default folder before I*downgraded. I put it in the new FF55.02 and it seems to be alright. I'm particularly happy to find again the tabs that I had before I*left FF55.02 :-)

@GreyGeek:*Indeed FF tends to be like Chromium in a way, but I*read that from FF57 on, the add-ons will be working for all futures version of FF. That's quit good!

I will try PaleMoon.
              ,,,,,,,nice , you are welcome

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Today I found out that it is not possible to EXPORT bookmarks from Vivaldi...
                What? Why not??
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170910_100612.png
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	643620

Please Read Me

Comment

mmm... I expected to see the export utility under tools and didn't look under File for it. I then did a ddg search for info, which led to
                  https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/3443/bookmarks-export
                  and the claim that one had to use Chromium to do it.
                  So, I deleted Vivaldi and installed PaleMoon, which I really really like. It is based on a fork of an older version of FF and won't be going down the path that Mozilla is planning for FF57, following Chromium.
                  http://www.palemoon.org/
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GG, you tripped over the oldest stick in the woods - reading a two year old post!

I installed Palemoon to check it out just now...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      GG, you tripped over the oldest stick in the woods - reading a two year old post!

I installed Palemoon to check it out just now...
                      Yup, I sure did. Not checking the File menu was stupid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X