This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Cam Microsoft HD3000 Questions

HI all, been wondering something. I'm looking at moving up to 16.04LTS as my 14.04LTS is starting to show it's age (yes, I'm slow at upgrading) and I was wondering something. When I tried to install my new Microsoft HD3000 webcam on 14.04 it installed and ran (verified through cheese) but then all kinds of bad stuff started happening, sound crashed, video crashed, and other kinds of fun nastiness. So it was my assumption that there's a bug somewhere in 14.04 that won't allow the HD3000 to play nicely. As such I'm wondering if it works well in 16.04 and if anyone's had any issues getting it to plug in and work?

I assume that part of the issue is with Pulse, as I saw that much in my web research while trying to unsuccessfully find a solution to the issue. But the rest seems related to other things. Anyhow, again I'm wondering if anyone has had any success getting this particular webcam up and running under 16.04 and if so, how? I'm asking in advance so I know what to do when I get the newer version installed. And yes, I know, I'm super slow getting to the newer version, but up until recently 14.04 worked just fine for me, so I had no reason to upgrade.

I've got no help for you as you've posted very little actual info about your issue, but I have a few comments:

14.04 isn't "old" as it will be supported until 2019. An upgrade will unlikely solve your problem unless your current kernel doesn't support that device - which a brief search of the internet suggests it does. I can't imagine why you would assume a "bug" exists without any evidence of one. A device not working isn't automatically a bug in the operating system. If you're going to assume something, assume the device isn't properly configured and start there. Why not assume the camera is broken?

Cheese isn't a KDE/Plasma program so you've introduced Gnome components (looks like 30 dependencies or more). Why not try a KDE program before mixing in a group of unknown pieces? Kamerk or Kamosa might fare better. I realize Cheese has more features and is more mature than either of the QT offerings, but by installing Cheese you've added another layer of possible problems.

You state you have a problem with Pulse and again, assume it part of the problem. Is there any evidence to support that assumption? One might consider that the problem is larger than both Pulse or this camera, but you would have to do some testing to figure that out.

Finally, I was going to say something about using a Microsoft device with a non-Microsoft OS but but the current kernels reportedly support this device so I doubt that's an issue.

I suggest you do some actual trouble-shooting, review log files, post relevant information if you find any, state what you've attempted to solve the issue, and post specific results - "bad stuff" and "fun nastiness" aren't really helpful if you want others to help out. There's a small link in my sig titled ReadMe that might point you in a better direction for your next post.

At a minimum, one of the best ways to check a piece of hardware is to test it on a clean install. You might try booting to a LiveUSB version of 14.04 and trying the camera then - without installing a bunch of Gnome stuff. Point being, if the camera works then your problem lies elsewhere in your install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Huh, interesting. I don't know why most of what you just suggested didn't come up in my searches. And I know that Karmerk and Kamosa sure didn't come up. It was all cheese, cheese, cheese. Plus the problem with pulse issue I mentioned also came up from the same said guys. I'm now kinda wondering if the "bugs" that were mentioned weren't more the gnome guys bashing KDE related stuff. Well, unless of course pulse is common in Gnome installs too. But I'll certainly given the two ideas you suggested a try. Namely the new apps and the clean install. And I'm not sure anymore how to do the debugging.

I did at one time, but the last 5 years I've been busy taking care of my mom who's got a bucket load of health issues, so most of my super user mojo packed up and left on a cloud of digital smoke. 24/7 care tends to burn one's mind into a smoldering^_^;; Sorry. Can you give me a couple commands I can run to get the kind of information you're looking for to debug this? Like crash reports and such? Of course, on that regard once I get those I should probably start a new thread in the 14.04 forum to help me with the debug as this would then become off topic. ^_^

Comment

Nevermind on the help. I plugged it in to try it with the two new apps you suggested and the camera went up in a cloud of magic smoke. So not an OS issue apparently. Okay, I guess it's time to do a little warranty return. (sounds of grumbling) It'd have been nice if it'd died sooner so I wouldn't have had to deal with this. Oy.

Comment

Ouch, that sucks but at least mystery is over.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, it seems they're not gonna replace it. So I guess I'm gonna move on to something else. Friend of mine suggested a nice Logitech. Might give that a spin. *sigh* This always seems to happen to me when I use Microsoft products. You'd figure I'd learn by now. :P

Comment

Working...
            X