This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application forgets directory

This is happening mainly with Gwenveiw, but she is not the only culprit.

When going thru my photos, I move the less good ones to another directory, which I call limbo. It used to be, with older versions, that once I had picked a directory, Gwenview remembered it and that was the one which opened immediately after starting a move or copy command. Now it regularly starts at my home directory and I have to plow my way down. When editing hundreds of pics, this can be a real pain.

So how do I get back to Gwenview's remembering that last directory used?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Have you checked the Configuration settings?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You mean Gwenview configuration? Nothing helpful in there. And I can't find anything like that in System Settings.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Well, you 'could' just create a simlink in your Home directory to the folder you want to put the photos in. It is an alternative if you can't find the setting within Gwenview to 'remember'.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I have done. It is not as good as having the ... what do you call that window which asks where you want to put your file? ...remember where you last were, which is often correct.

Comment

I notice the same problem with Firefox.
            It used to be that a right click and Save on the picture of a particular site automagically would be put in the for that site used directory.

Now it will only default to /Pictures.
            Strange enough the path is correctly shown in the 'Address bar' of the Firefox Plasma Save As utility but pressing Save will not result in saving anywhere.

Comment

Today's updates fixed the problem with Firefox on 16.04

Comment

Can't speak to Firefox, but my Gwenview has a "Remember Recent Folders" option in it's settings which, rather than just opening the file/folder location, opens a list of recent folders in one tab and a list of recent files in another. A functionality I rather like. Mostly however, I rarely launch Gwenview directly, but through clicking on a picture in Dolphin. I tend to expect a file manager to manage files and a image tool to manipulate images.

Please Read Me

Comment

At here, with Firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit), aboutreferences#general under Downloads has two options: Save files to and Always ask me where to save files. The Save files to allows you to select the folder in which to save files.

Comment

The problem of the last weeks was that the 'breadcrumbs' were pointing to the remembered directory but the window listing the files didn't.

That part has been fixed, remains a little nuisance that it will without prompt overwrite a file with the same name.
                    Luckily the preview works which does give an idea of what the file with he same name is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      ...remains a little nuisance that it will without prompt overwrite a file with the same name.
                      Luckily the preview works which does give an idea of what the file with he same name is about.
                      IF this is factual; that an existing file will be overwritten without any kind of prompting; it's not simply a 'little nuisance', but a serious bug which, if it hasn't been already, reported.

Comment

It still does not work, in fact it is worse. I have checked "history > remember folders and ursl" in gwenview settings. but it remembers nothing. the home page is always empty. VERY frustrating. does no one else have this problem? i have tried deleting gwenviewrc, but that does not help at all.

Comment

One problem I see is that there is no option to change the "StartPage" setting, so it always displays the home directory. So, clicking the StartPage always shows the images in the home account. That's not a problem for me because I rarely create deeply nested folders because of past experience with slow access times, a habit carried forward from Windows.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                          X