X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE-full ?

Hello . . .

Just signed up.

Yesterday, I loaded 16.04 onto extra removable SSD. It took me three installs to get up and running. First died at disk partitioning, second died at boot and third was good after I found out why the boot failed. Somehow 16.04 modified my BIOS boot sequence and my usual sda1 was nowhere to be found. All OK now.

I have a question about KDE. In the past I used kde-full or kubuntu-desktop or something like that to load all (?) the kde apps but my research suggests that these are not packaged any more. I did find a package called baseapps and it did load about a dozen more kde apps.

Can anyone tell me what I can use? I have in the distance past loaded the apps individually but it is a lot of work.

Thanks for the help.

pmb

There is a package named kubuntu-full

This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu DVD for a very
    complete system. Installing this package will include much more than the
    default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or Netbook installation.
    Also kubuntu-desktop still exists

This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system.
    Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or
    Netbook installation.

Comment

Gavin77 Thank You for the reply.

All the names resembling kubuntu-full and kubuntu-desktop appear to be single files and not meta packages. On my Synaptic they are all 1338 (kb?) in size and install as far as I can see just one thing. I don't know what that is.

These files are marked as installed on my 16.04. From the activity that I have done, it may be that these were installed on my system at creation time.

There are an awful lot of KDE packages still outstanding such as wallpaper and kdeartwork. Could it be that these are not compatible or not yet converted to Plasma or Neon?

I will join a KDE forum and ask the same questions. Maybe I am just too early with this,

Thanks again.

pmb

Comment

You've got it exactly backwards. The fact they're they're only a few kb in size means they are meta packages. On my vanilla 16.04 Vbox install, kubuntu-full adds 33 packages and kubuntu-desktop adds 42 packages. Simple enough to test this yourself - select one for install and see what the package manager tells you - you will be able to cancel before the actual install. Not sure either one of those will get you where you want. For example, kubuntu-full adds laptop and netbook stuff not really needed if you're on a desktop. Time consuming or not, installing packages as needed rather then with a shotgun is a saner approach. Most of us prefer a leaner system - sort of why we're using linux to begin with.

You're right about one thing though - not all the non-KDE packages have been updated for the new environment. Same thing happened when we went from KDE3 to KDE4. If this bothers you, consider installing 14.04 instead. In a year or so, all the developers will have caught up with QT5 and other parts of the system.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr Thank You for the reply.

Usually, I agree the small size means that it is a meta package but not in this instance. It appears that on my setup they install 'nothing.'

This is my kubuntu-full reinstall.
          "
          (Reading database ... 159496 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack .../kubuntu-full_1.338_amd64.deb ...
          Unpacking kubuntu-full (1.338) over (1.338) ...
          Setting up kubuntu-full (1.338) ...
          "

This is my kubuntu-desktop reinstall.
          "
          (Reading database ... 159496 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack .../kubuntu-desktop_1.338_amd64.deb ...
          Unpacking kubuntu-desktop (1.338) over (1.338) ...
          Setting up kubuntu-desktop (1.338) ...
          "

The packages installed should have been listed. I do not see 33 and 42 packages installed.

My result may be from the fact that the packages are already installed but I requested a reinstall so it should list dozens and dozens of files.

Thank You again for the reply.

pmb

Comment

Yeah, likely then you already have all the packages those meta-packages point too.

Please Read Me

Comment

They are metapackages and you may have met the dependencies. Details below.
              http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kubuntu-desktop
              http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kubuntu-full

Comment

Working...
              X