X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mail Program?

I'm working on getting Vivaldi going for my replacement to Firefox

How about a replacement for Thunderbird?

Suggestions?

Greg
    W9WD

I've just started using Nylas Mail because I'm looking for a good mail manager that can handle multiple accounts and providers (Outlook for work, gmail and a couple others). I haven't used it enough to pass judgement yet, but I like the very clean interface. One note: you have to install gnome-keyring to get authentication to sign on, but it has few depends and isn't large at all.

I too have been using Vivaldi and am liking it. I'm hopeful they expand their services to handle email. Enterprise servers using Outlook are always a PITA though.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have several domains with email addresses that I monitor so that is an important point.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

I had been using a gmail account and forwarding my email to my ISP email address and accessing it with KMail. I would send via gmail and kept my ISP email address private. Then, Google decided to abandon its "Do no evil" mantra so I closed my Google account and now I just use KMail. The import facility imported over 10 years of Google emails exported to an mbox without a hitch. I am using KGpg to sign or encrypt my emails, plus some AV plugins. In 2 1/2 years I have had only one probably, which akonadictl solved quite handily.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I had been using a gmail account and forwarding my email to my ISP email address and accessing it with KMail. I would send via gmail and kept my ISP email address private. Then, Google decided to abandon its "Do no evil" mantra so I closed my Google account and now I just use KMail. The import facility imported over 10 years of Google emails exported to an mbox without a hitch. I am using KGpg to sign or encrypt my emails, plus some AV plugins. In 2 1/2 years I have had only one probably, which akonadictl solved quite handily.
          AFAIK, Kmail don't do windows - or more specifically Outlook Enterprise email. For now at least, I'm stuck with it for work. But I've only got 2-4 years left before I pull the plug on what is now my third career. Then I can re-evaluate. I stopped using ISP provider email accounts long ago. Too many changes in providers and it got to be a huge PITA. Gmail - whatever you think about their methods - provides a lot of functionality in exchange for a little data - and I've had the same email address for more than 20 years so old friends and former colleagues can still find me.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            .... I've only got 2-4 years left before I pull the plug on what is now my third career. Then I can re-evaluate.
            Believe me, those 2-4 years will blow by in what seams like a couple days. It's been 9 years since I retired and it seems like yesterday.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I stopped using ISP provider email accounts long ago. Too many changes in providers and it got to be a huge PITA. Gmail - whatever you think about their methods - provides a lot of functionality in exchange for a little data - and I've had the same email address for more than 20 years so old friends and former colleagues can still find me.
            That's the only saving grace about Goolag. But, I've chopped down the sites that I visit considerably in the last couple years since I dropped Goolag. KFN, Drudge, YouTube and the occasional links off those sites, mainly to help with KDE/Neon/Qt problems. I've canceled all my social site accounts, and I'm even thinking about dropping Drudge. He's only linking to Pravda's, Ivestia's and conspiracy sites anyway.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I had been using a gmail account and forwarding my email to my ISP email address and accessing it with KMail. I would send via gmail and kept my ISP email address private.
              The way I keep my email private...

For each of my domains I have a real email address. With the exception of 2, no one (except trusted friends) ever sees these email addresses.
              When I buy something or when I sign up for a forum, I create a forward using the name of the merchant/forum @ a domain name (to real email address).
              If I start getting spam I know exactly where it came from and I just delete the forward leaving my true email address intact.
              The only downside is that if I respond to an email I expose my true email address, so I use a yahoo email account for responding.

It's worked pretty good for years now.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

GregM
                yep! I have a throway and a family one and the school one.
                woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hmm, I have this ISP address since over 20 years
                  Before I had mail with an ISP that went bust, it was taken over by another, they continued the mail service but after two years I got fed up paying for it.
                  When Gmail came about it was invitation only and I wasn't invited, once it became open to all I was no longer interested.

My ISP allows 5 mail boxes with up to 10 aliases each, 99.9% of the time I use my primary mail address, even in newsgroups but with suspicious sites like Adobe I am registered with one of the aliases.
                  The ISP has a great spam filter, uses roundcube for webmail and on this laptop I run Thunderbird that has all the mail boxes included.
                  I can answer or start any mail with any of the aliases from the drop down menu, very flexible.

During the Win95 and 95 years I was mainly using Outlook Express and later used Thunderbird's import option to integrate the old mails into the present system.
                  A couple of times I attempted to change over to Kmail but there were always a problems with the import of the old (since 1997) mail archive so I'm happy to stay with Thunderbird for mail and newsgroups.

On my Android phone I use Bluemail but am very unhappy with it as it doesn't support in-line replies, it only does the stupid Outlook 'Reply before the message'.

To sum it up, I wouldn't know any reason not to use Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                  X