This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
    I just found out my gateway only supports 802.11 N. Maybe the Broadcom driver doesn't support 802.11 N?
    Did you check with the mfg?

I just completed a search for a Broadcom 2233 wifi chip and couldn't find any reference to it at all. Even searching for Bcm2233 brought up nothing. Are you sure about the make and model of that wifi chip?

Post the listing of lspci
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 24, 2017, 07:52 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Did you check with the mfg?

I just completed a search for a Broadcom 2233 wifi chip and couldn't find any reference to it at all. Even searching for Bcm2233 brought up nothing. Are you sure about the make and model of that wifi chip?

Post the listing of lspci
      Yep 4322

Code:
      kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo lspci
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
      00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
      00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
      00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
      00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
      00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
      00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
      00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
      02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
      03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
      kubuntu@kubuntu:~$
      Try this on a google search: broadcom 4322 ubuntu
      Here is one page: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1044989
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Don't want to be Captain Obvious, but I didn't see this mentioned. Does your computer have a physical switch or Function key combination for toggling wifi on and off?
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Don't want to be Captain Obvious, but I didn't see this mentioned. Does your computer have a physical switch or Function key combination for toggling wifi on and off?
          Who are you talking to, me or the OP?
          If me then I already addressed this in another post. Right now I am using the live DVD since my install got hosed by a recent Kubuntu updated. I manually installed the packages for the wifi. they are in the /pool directory on the disk. Apparently the installer is bugged an
          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I have posted in this in the about forum section before but apparently nothing was done so I will add it here. A lot of times I try to post and get a message saying 'the token has expired. please refresh the page'. That rarely works. Usually I have to copy my post then exit the thread and then go back into it and paste back my message as the forum dosn't remember it. Then I can post. Some one needs to tell the company that you bought this program from, so they can debugged it. If they already debugged it and put out a new version then Kubuntuforms.net needs to update so this annoying problem goes away.

Comment

Who are you talking to, me or the OP?
              If me then I already addressed this in another post. Right now I am using the live DVD since my install got hosed by a recent Kubuntu updated. I manually installed the packages for the wifi. they are in the /pool directory on the disk. Apparently the installer is bugged an
              I was responding to you. I am a firm believer that one should read the entire thread before responding and you have not mentioned that in this thread. If you already have another thread going regarding this problem, then it would be best to stick to that thread instead of piggy-backing off another.

Best,

ejs
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I was responding to you. I am a firm believer that one should read the entire thread before responding and you have not mentioned that in this thread. If you already have another thread going regarding this problem, then it would be best to stick to that thread instead of piggy-backing off another.

Best,

ejs
                I had to rckill all to remove the blocks to get it working but the main problem was that the installers for Xnial, yakaty, Neon and 17.04 do not install the packages for the wifi or the Ethernet! I have to do it manually. At least not for my BCM wireless and Realtech Ethernet.

Comment

Yep 4322
                  Yup? In msg #11 and previous in this thread you repeatedly wrote 2233. Changing the goalposts won't help!

Code:
                  02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
                  Try this on a google search: broadcom 4322 ubuntu
                  Here is one page: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1044989
                  Sure, a search on bmc4322 works, but bcm2233 doesn't.

The definitive site for Linux wifi drivers, especially legacy drivers, is:
                  https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

There it shows the BCM4322 as capable of using b/g/n So, yes, n is supported.
                  14e4:4322 yes (3.18+) BCM4322 b/g/n N (r4) wl
                  The 14e4:4322 is the @pci address shown on the businfo line of the output of lshw for the wifi network chip.
                  The "wl" is an alternative driver.
                  In my Neon repository are two b43 drivers:
                  b43-fwcutter
                  firmware-b43-installer

The first is an extractor of the firmware from the onboard chip, the second is the firmware installer. The Kubuntu 16.04 probably has them as well.

The Debian Wiki
                  https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
                  states:

b43 (supported devices)
                  • Introduced in Linux 2.6.24.
                  • Supports BCM4321 and BCM4322 as of Linux 2.6.38.

and
                  b43 and b43legacy

These drivers are included as modules in Debian kernel images. Firmware from userspace is required for device operation.
                  Firmware is not packaged by the Debian Project. It must be downloaded and extracted, which can be performed by the firmware-b43-installer, firmware-b43legacy-installer or firmware-b43-lpphy-installer packages during their installation. An Internet connection is required.

Based on the info from the Debian Wiki the app you want to install is the firmware-b43-installer.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 25, 2017, 12:12 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Yup? In msg #11 and previous in this thread you repeatedly wrote 2233. Changing the goalposts won't help!

Code:
                    Sure, a search on bmc4322 works, but bcm2233 doesn't.

The definitive site for Linux wifi drivers, especially legacy drivers, is:
                    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

There it shows the BCM4322 as capable of using b/g/n So, yes, n is supported.
                    14e4:4322 yes (3.18+) BCM4322 b/g/n N (r4) wl
                    The 14e4:4322 is the @pci address shown on the businfo line of the output of lshw for the wifi network chip.
                    The "wl" is an alternative driver.
                    In my Neon repository are two b43 drivers:
                    b43-fwcutter
                    firmware-b43-installer

The first is an extractor of the firmware from the onboard chip, the second is the firmware installer. The Kubuntu 16.04 probably has them as well.

The Debian Wiki
                    https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
                    states:

and

Based on the info from the Debian Wiki the app you want to install is the firmware-b43-installer.
                    I must have remembered the number wrong sorry about that, but lspc copy past fixed that mistake. The 16.04 dvd only has fwcutter. It dose not have b43-firmware-installer. That has to be downloaded. It does have DKMS and the 2 fakeroot packages also the sta driver which works for my chip. These must be installed manually since the installer fails to install them. For some reason I have to install the sta driver twice before it will work. I install it the first time and no wifi. I install it the second time and I have wifi. I never have found a way to get Ethernet.

I suspect it is a driver issue as my gateway sees the connection -lights-. Probably the hardware connects but the software is absent or mis-configured.

Comment

Use b43-fwcutter. It is the source of the b43-firmware-installer anyway.

Comment

Just to add another idea, for me wired ethernet problems have been due to flaky cables.

Regards, John Little
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                        X