This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet access from 16.04

I have been using Kubuntu 12.04 but now downloaded 16.04 and installed it onto a separate hard drive i.e. not an upload because I had been warned of possible problems going that way. On the new hard drive I have booted and at least partly populated a desk top. But I cannot see how to now connect to the internet. Presumably I am missing something - could anyone point me in the right direction, please?

In the system tray is the NetworkManager icon. Is it hidden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you - found it - but how do I activate it please? I have entered all the configuration requested and my usb modem stick is plugged in but the Connect button remains greyed out - my only options are Add, Edit and Delete.

Comment

Click "Add" and chose wifi AP. Locate your ESSID, select WPA2 and enter your password. Save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I fear I have stumbled again. :-( After Add the default option was Wi-Fi under which two options : SSID with a drop down arrow but no options thereunder; and BSSID under which the only option 'First select the SSID'. There was also an MTU field with a default option of Automatic and an alternative of 1. Could you suggest what I should do please?

Comment

Sorry, I'm old school. It used to be called ESSID, now it is just SSID. Using it, select the name of your WIFI signal. For MODE select Infrastructure. Leave the rest on that tab as they are.
            On the WIFI-Security tab select WPA/WPA2 Personal. Enter your password. Set the store password setting what is appropriate ... probably for "this user". The IPv4 and IPv6 tabs you can ignore.

Comment

> Sorry, I'm old school.

Ditto ! Now 78 and reguiarly frustrated that the old grey matter no longer works as it used to.

Using it, select the name of your WIFI signal.

Whence do i find that, please ? There are no options offered in the drop down and it does not appear in the instructions from my ISP.

Set the store password setting what is appropriate ... probably for "this user".

What is that ? And where to enter it ? There is no field requesting it.

Comment

I suspect that you haven't configured your wireless router yet. IF that is the case then here is a pictorial guide on how to do it.
                http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-a-Wireless-Router

Once you have set up your wireless router you can open the NetworkManger by right-mousing on it and left-clicking on "Configure Network connections". Create a new wifi connection. On the Wifi Tab select your SSID and enter your password (those two items you established when you configured your wireless router).

Comment

I tried that but just got myself into more entanglements (can expand if anyone is interested). So turned to a friend who is a programer and who thought he could solve it in twenty minutes but in fact needed two hours. Going backwards and forwards between 12.04 and 16.04, copying files and doing much work in Konsole. Way beyond my understanding. Surely it should not need as much work as that? Imagine a person new to Linux, deciding to start with Kubuntu 16.04, successfully handling the ISO file and setting up a desktop - how would such a person then set up an internet connection? Has anyone reading this actually done it and if so how, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                    ... Going backwards and forwards between 12.04 and 16.04, copying files and doing much work in Konsole. .... Surely it should not need as much work as that? Imagine a person new to Linux, deciding to start with Kubuntu 16.04, successfully handling the ISO file and setting up a desktop - how would such a person then set up an internet connection? Has anyone reading this actually done it and if so how, please?
                    No need to go back and forth between past and current distros. For about 99.99999% of the people a wired connection is obtained automatically by merely plugging in the cat5+ cable into the Ethernet port on the side of the laptop. It's a no-brainer. Since I am about 2' from my router I use a 3' length of Cat5 cable to connect to my router. It's the same as if you didn't use a router and plugged your computer directly into your cable modem.

I have also set up a wireless configuration for our two smartphones, my wife's notebook laptop, and our guests smartphones when they visit us.

A wireless connection is almost just as easy as a wired one. First, left mouse on the Internet Icon (which is actually the NetworkManager GUI) and select the ONLY option, "Configure a network connection".
                    On that GUI, on the bottom right corner of the left panel, click the "+" icon -- add a new connection.
                    Give it a name. On the "Wifi" tab in the right panel select the SSID you previously configured for your wireless router. On the "Wifi-security" tab select WPA/WPA2 Personal". Enter the password you assigned in your wireless configuration and click the "Apply" button. Click "Ok" to close the GUI.

That's it. Nothing could be more simple except running your wireless without a password, which I don't recommend. AND, it is not any simpler in Windows or Mac. You still have to configure your wireless router SSID and password, besides selecting the speed, etc.... None of that is associated with running Linux any more than it is with running Windows or Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      For about 99.99999% of the people a wired connection is obtained automatically by merely plugging in the cat5+ cable into the Ethernet port on the side of the laptop.
                      Then I must be one of the .000001% that can't connect via the wired. Yes the Ethernet card is just fine as it was working last month. Probably the driver doesn't work right. Broadcom 2233. 10/100/1000. I tried a different wire but no. Several computers on wifi and one other wired that work just fine. That leaves this computers software as the only possible culprit left. I think even Sherlock Holmes or a Vulcan would agree with that line of reasoning.
                      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                        Then I must be one of the .000001% that can't connect via the wired. Yes the Ethernet card is just fine as it was working last month. Probably the driver doesn't work right. Broadcom 2233. 10/100/1000. I tried a different wire but no. Several computers on wifi and one other wired that work just fine. That leaves this computers software as the only possible culprit left. I think even Sherlock Holmes or a Vulcan would agree with that line of reasoning.
                        I can definitely agree with your membership in the 0.000001% club. Knowing that your basic installation is semi-hosed already (UEFI stuff on a non-UEFI computer?) I have no doubt that the rest of the system is giving you trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          I can definitely agree with your membership in the 0.000001% club. Knowing that your basic installation is semi-hosed already (UEFI stuff on a non-UEFI computer?) I have no doubt that the rest of the system is giving you trouble.
                          Yes but why doesn't a Fresh install fix the problem? Even a different version still dose this! As you know I even tried Neon and still get problems.

My brother just pointed out the different colors on my Xfinity gateway. Them wire going to his computer is green on the bottom of it's plug in the gateway and yellow on the top. The wire going to this computer is yellow on the top and orange on the bottom. Dose this suggest anything to anyone?
                          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what is going on here, I read the thread but probably missed a few things.

Seems your wired connection should be automatic, I would hope, at least. You did find some icon in your Desktop tray that indicated no Internet connection.

Here's a wild one for you: Start up the PC, get into your Kubuntu, the Desktop comes up, the Internet icon says no connection ... So, now, at this exact point, unplug your Ethernet cable from the modem/router, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in, see what happens.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just found out my gateway only supports 802.11 N. Maybe the Broadcom driver doesn't support 802.11 N?

Comment

Working...
                              X