This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xenial Is Looking Better

As soon as 16.04.1 came out, I downloaded the iso, backed up /home, burned the iso to DVD, and custom installed it.

Right out of the box, no problems - ugly as mud, but functional. So I went back and installed Synaptic, so I could install Muon. Don't get me wrong, Synaptic is nice, but I'm very much at home with Muon. As for Discover - meh. I got Thunderbird/Lightning, Clementine, screensavers and a few others of the packages that aren't stock. I promptly dumped Kmail, Kontact, etc. Don't get me wrong, I just prefer TBird.

I played around with various themes, and combined some features, along with FF and Tbird themes. Don't get me wrong, but I hate the flat, square, un-colorful stuff that was in the stock install. After much playing, my desktop is almost inviting again.

Just out of curiosity, I looked for, found, and started up Amarok. I haven't like Amarok in a very long time, but this time it just ran. I could start to like it again.

So I bid adieu to Trusty, and look forward to what seems to be a fine, stable Xenial (whatever that is!) for the next couple of years. Just gotta whup the ugly, other than that the devs have done a very good job.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Care to post a screen shot?
    Lenovo T460s

Comment

Not a problem, be back in a few ...
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

See if this works - my first time with Spectacle. Normally, I keep most things minimized, and just jump around as needed.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jglen490; Jul 30, 2016, 03:58 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

And here's my 'bare" desktop ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have any panels? I can't see a panel in those screenshots. I guess you might have hidden the panel? A desktop screenshot seems incomplete without a panel (to me, anyway).
            Last edited by Rod J; Jul 30, 2016, 08:34 PM.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Yes, I have Autohide set. Here's view with Always Visible set.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jglen490; Jul 30, 2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

What is the theme you are using? I like the look of the semi-transparent panel. I'm trying out different themes, etc in my K16.04 VirtualBox machine. At the moment it looks like this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160731_233236.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	643259

I'm using the bare-naked theme which makes the panel completely transparent, not sure I like it that way so much but it's growing on me. I didn't like the look of the panel as it was set up initially. I'm not sure why Firefox has a dark theme, as it's the default theme. I've switched back and forth in the System Settings, Workspace Theme, Look and Feel, Breeze and Breeze Dark a few times. There seems to be a bug there because sometimes the settings got stuck and mixed up. It's set to the default Breeze now.
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Wow jglen490. That looks so similar to mine. It appears we have the same opinion about the current popular themes. Rod J., you may want to change Workspace Theme > Look And Feel to Breeze instead of Breeze Dark. The result should be something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160731_055117.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	643260

Edit:
                  Hmmm, I just reread your last post and it seems I still need to learn how to read. That said, it was the switch I mentioned above that changed my menus to a lighter background. Wish I could help more about the bug.
                  Last edited by DrGeoffrey; Jul 31, 2016, 06:11 AM.
                  Lenovo T460s

Comment

Yeah, that's my point ... it IS set to Breeze NOT Breeze Dark. But the dark theme persists in Firefox ... weird.

When I first changed to Breeze Dark it didn't seem to fully change (the panel was messed up somehow) then I switched back to Breeze and everything is as you would expect except Firefox. It's got me scratching my head It may be some bug in VirtualBox. When I first created this Virtual machine I had 3D acceleration turned on and that really didn't work well with parts of the desktop being invisible like the panel completely hidden and started applications not appearing at all. Then I remembered I had this problem with my K15.10 virtual install too. Disabling the 3D acceleration fixes that problem.

Comment

VBs are great for fast switching between distributions, or running Windows, but they can introduce their own idiosyncrasies. A curious question, have you tried creating a new user?
                      Lenovo T460s

Comment

No, not yet. I might try that tomorrow (or I should say, later today). Got to get some sleep now, it's nearly 2 a.m. here.

Comment

jglen490, Comment and question;

Just a suggestion, but rather than installing Synaptic and all the GTK stuff it requires, why not just install Muon? sudo apt install muon in konsole does it in one step!

Question: Are you using the nvidia drivers? I ask because of Spectacle has an odd problem if being used with nvidia drivers. Regardless of your video card, try to use "Rectangular Area" capture with spectacle and capture a small area - less than 300x200 pixels. Let me know your results and what video driver you're using, thanks.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Question: Are you using the nvidia drivers? I ask because of Spectacle has an odd problem if being used with nvidia drivers. Regardless of your video card, try to use "Rectangular Area" capture with spectacle and capture a small area - less than 300x200 pixels. Let me know your results and what video driver you're using, thanks.
                            That is odd.

Just returns with no SC displayed, as if it has no been taken. But export/save to somewhere else, and it seems to be there.

spectacle - 16.04.3
                            Nvidia Drivers - 367.35-0ubuntu0~gpu16.10.1

Seems related:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365741

&

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362450
                            Last edited by acheron; Jul 31, 2016, 10:48 AM.
                            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

oshunluvr --

Thanks for your input! I am using Nvidia 340.96, as recommended. With Spectacle, I just saved the image and then resized it to the images that are shown above - seems to work O.K.

As for Synaptic, I wanted to try it because there are some high praises for the application. Like I said it's O.K., but I'll probably dump it at some point, just because I do like Muon better.

I am liking Xenial. There are still some issues that I'll work on. All minor stuff and not problematic, more like irritations and preferences.

Comment

Working...
                              X