X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting stops with Error after upgrade to 16.04 LTS

Hello,

I updated my 64 bit 14.04 Kubuntu to 16.04. with the standard system update software. The update process went well, however rebooting into the upgraded system did not work.

I see this when booting stops:

[17.538523] acpi_call: Cannot get handle: Error: AE_NOT_FOUND
    [17.563191] acpi_call: Cannot get handle: Error: AE_NOT_FOUND

I hope someone can help...

thanks in advance!

Not usually a fatal error. Try some boot options:

acpi=off OR noacpi

This parameter disables the whole ACPI system. This may prove very useful, for example, if your computer does not support ACPI or if you think the ACPI implementation might cause some problems (for instance random reboots or system lockups).

acpi=force

Activates the ACPI system even if your computer BIOS date is older than 2000. This parameter overrides acpi=off and can also be used with current hardware if the ACPI support is not activated despite apm=off.

pci=noacpi OR acpi=noirq

These parameters disable the PCI IRQ routing

pci=acpi

This parameter activates the PCI IRQ routing

acpi_irq_balance

ACPI is allowed to use PIC interrupts to minimize the common use of IRQs.

acpi_irq_nobalance

ACPI is not allowed to use PIC interrupts.

acpi=oldboot

Deactivates the ACPI system almost completely; only the components required for the boot process will be used.

acpi=ht

Deactivates the ACPI system almost completely; only the components required for hyper threading will be used.

noapic

Disable the "Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC)".

nolapic

Disable the "local APIC".

apm=off OR noapm

Disable the Advanced Power Management.

acpi.power_nocheck=1 OR acpi_osi=Linux

Disable the check of power state. Option two modifies the list of supported OS interface strings (changes the OS compatibility reported to the BIOS). Necessary on some broken BIOSes to make temperature/fan control work.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you so much for your suggestions!
      I will try!

Comment

Is it perhaps at this point we should petition the Kubuntu Devs to downplay the option of encouraging upgrading from 14.04 to a 16.04? Since release, and I'm only going by gut feeling here, there sure seems to be a lot of issues regarding trying to do the jump...And on a personal level I just got a call from a long time Kubuntu user that I replaced Windows on his system with about two years ago...That he was prompted for an release upgrade even though I had Muon Updater to never show distribution upgrades (although I can't rule out that he might have played around a bit and changed that setting, though unlikely)...That post-upgrade he can no longer boot into his system either. A problem that I will now have to remedy.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

To be respectfully frank, that's a bit harsh. Generally; likely mostly; when people experience/express problems with these normal upgrades, it's due to underlying system configurations that aren't 'standard'; have been modified/customized; or include installed applications from non-standard ubuntu (third-party) repository applications, or applications downloaded and installed from the 'Net as tarballs. The one variable that developers simply cannot take into consideration is the end user.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think I've been a "good" end-user . I can only remember having installed skype from a non-standard ubuntu repository. The rest was just from the muon discovery store. Well, had some windows games on wine. I simply am not experienced enough to customize very much anyways.
            I now installed the 16.04 from a normal pendrive, good to have backups!
            I understand both of your views. maybe there is a way in between, like giving a BIG colorful hint "make a backup, before you upgrade" or sth like that. I make backups regularly but who knows how many users do that. Should be common sense though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              To be respectfully frank, that's a bit harsh. Generally; likely mostly; when people experience/express problems with these normal upgrades, it's due to underlying system configurations that aren't 'standard'; have been modified/customized; or include installed applications from non-standard ubuntu (third-party) repository applications, or applications downloaded and installed from the 'Net as tarballs. The one variable that developers simply cannot take into consideration is the end user.
              While I can agree with that in general, it's just my impression that there's been more of this lately than I've ever seen in the past. Things like this, for example. Maybe it's just me and maybe I am being a bit harsh. However I will point out that your comment "installed applications from non-standard ubuntu (third-party) repository applications" should not be relevant since the upgrade scripts are supposed to disable 3rd party PPA's during the upgrade. Is this not correct?

Either way I simply can hope that Ubuntu moves to a rolling release model!
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                However I will point out that your comment "installed applications from non-standard ubuntu (third-party) repository applications" should not be relevant since the upgrade scripts are supposed to disable 3rd party PPA's during the upgrade. Is this not correct?
                Not entirely. Yes, non-standard third-party repositories are commented out by the script, but that doesn't change the possible impact that such installed applications (and their configuration files) could have on the upgrade process. That's what I meant.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Not entirely. Yes, non-standard third-party repositories are commented out by the script, but that doesn't change the possible impact that such installed applications (and their configuration files) could have on the upgrade process. That's what I meant.
                  I get what your saying. I would argue then that an upgrade is never worth really doing since neither an admin nor a normal user could possibly know if an upgrade would work or not until they push the button and let it fly, which definitely initiates a point of no return...Further I would argue that if a user is smart enough to successfully back up all their data, they are sufficiently smart enough to repopulate their newly installed system with the things they need. Further, based on everything I've seen so far, even if I concurred that upgrading is in general as safe as a new install (a point I can't make personally in good conscience at this time) I think I'd caution users from the KDE 4 to Plasma 5 jump via upgrade. But that's just me.

In any case (and I'm guilty of this as well) I know Kubuntu needs more testers to test the upgrades in the beta stages and I intend to start doing those again this cycle. It's the least I can do.
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

One comment: some ppas need to be purged - including their packages - prior to an do-release-upgrade, like xorg-edgers. I suspect some users skip over this notice when adding ppas and some ppas don't advise this. Point is: combine advanced ppas and low experience users and WHAM broken install. It's the deb version of rpm hell.

So I usually recommend (and do) a new install. Kubuntu is too easy to install to be worth the potential headaches wait for you down the yellow-brick-upgrade-road. Just my opinion...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X