This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.04 freezing on desktop at startup.

This is what happens after the kubuntu loading screen. The cursor is visible while the progress bar is loading but after that the system becomes unresponsive.

I am using a simple am3 amd gigabyte motherboard with an athalon 3.0 2x x64. It runs windows, hyrens, puppy, and I'm sure Ubuntu just fine.

What's so special about plasma 5 and KDE that this is happening?

#year of linux desktop
    Last edited by Elliot young; Jul 27, 2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

What graphics card is in your PC? Does your motherboard have onboard graphics (Intel) as well?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        What graphics card is in your PC? Does your motherboard have onboard graphics (Intel) as well?
        Integrated graphics using this motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3726#ov

Comment

How do I go about selecting the correct driver and doing this? Back in the day I would choose the open driver and edit my config file. From what I know linux has changed an uses systemd and also does not use xorg.conf in the new distros like debian and ubuntu. I have root shell access but don't know which driver to pick and how to configure it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot young View Post
            Integrated graphics using this motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3726#ov
            Your link is broken.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              Your link is broken.
              Fixed in post. Here is is again: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3726#ov

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3726#ov

Comment

The recommend NVIDIA Linux driver for the GeForce 7025/nForce 630, which is nine years old and a legacy chip, is here but that driver should be in the 16.04 repository as:
                nvidia-304
                NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.131
                and it will be easier to install 304 from the repository.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 27, 2016, 03:48 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  The recommend NVIDIA Linux driver for the GeForce 7025/nForce 630, which is nine years old and a legacy chip, is here but that driver should be in the 16.04 repository as:

and it will be easier to install 304 from the repository.
                  can you give me a really quick tutorial of how to select it as the driver once I install it with apt-get? So yeah, how to specify driver once installed?

Comment

IF it's in the standard Ubuntu repositories; those that are 'active' during/after installation, then from a konsole you should just have to type: sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

This is assuming that that is the actual package name in the repositories (I never assume, even when one of our knowledgable members has made the citation). IF it is the actual package name, then it will install.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      IF it's in the standard Ubuntu repositories; those that are 'active' during/after installation, then from a konsole you should just have to type: sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

This is assuming that that is the actual package name in the repositories (I never assume, even when one of our knowledgable members has made the citation). IF it is the actual package name, then it will install.
                      Yup, my memory has no CRC parity error check, but if the copy function didn't forget then that is the name of the driver.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Solved

Solution is here: http://askubuntu.com/a/688149

Had to install a PPA to get access to the legacy driver. Restarting after installation was required but no crashes after that. Installing chrome and successfully tested netflix.

Thanks for helping me through this, guys. It was fun getting my hands dirty with linux even thought it was technically a waste of time. Did a bunch of stuff like manual interface config, wget, etc in the process. Was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot young View Post
                          It was fun getting my hands dirty with linux even thought it was technically a waste of time.
                          I whole-heartedly disagree with the above statement. IMO, learning something new is never a waste of time, even if it wasn't fun. Learning is why we exist. How boring would the universe be if we knew everything?

I have being using linux since 2006 and I still learn new stuff all the time. Trust me on this, linux is a path of learning and there is no final destination. One of the great joys of linux (for me at least) is conquering problems like this one and the satisfaction that comes from it. I hope you enjoy using and learning about linux as I have, good luck to you and welcome to KFN.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for posting your solution, Elliot!

Comment

Working...
                            X