This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to get 2 xscreens?

Waited till 16.04.1. Installed it. I have been trying to get my 2 monitors each with their own xscreen set up from previous versions of kubuntu running on 16.04 with no luck.

I tried getting the backports of plasma to bring it up to the latest I could get, installed the latest nvidia driver 367, still no luck.

Spent today hunting through everything I can find about this and still can't get it to work.

Even got rid of kscreen to see if that would work.

Right now I have 2 monitors as 1 screen. If I use nvidia settings to create a xorg.conf file it goes to one screen and one black screen with a cursor, but otherwise inaccessible.

I can't think of anything else to try right now, so thinking 2 xscreens isn't possible in 16.04.

I have looked and relooked at log files. With a xorg.conf and without and I still can't make out anything that I can see that should prevent 2 xscreens from being created.

It is an old 430gt card (computer is mostly mail, web and text editing), but that never had a problem in 14.04 and since it is currently handling 2 monitors as 1 screen it shouldn't be a problem.

Not certain what other information may help in figuring this out either.

If anyone else has any ideas on if this is possible or how I would be able to do it, I am open to suggestions.

We no longer use the old xorg.conf file. The new way to configure X is the create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and put separate files in it for each section.

Snippet from http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...rg.conf.5.html

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
    The xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d files are composed of a number of
    sections which may be present in any order, or omitted to use default
    configuration values. Each section has the form:

Section "SectionName"
    SectionEntry
    EndSection

The section names are:

Files File pathnames
    ServerFlags Server flags
    Module Dynamic module loading
    Extensions Extension enabling
    InputDevice Input device description
    InputClass Input class description
    OutputClass Output class description
    Device Graphics device description
    VideoAdaptor Xv video adaptor description
    Monitor Monitor description
    Modes Video modes descriptions
    Screen Screen configuration
    ServerLayout Overall layout
    DRI DRI-specific configuration
    Vendor Vendor-specific configuration

The following obsolete section names are still recognised for
    compatibility purposes. In new config files, the InputDevice section
    should be used instead.

Keyboard Keyboard configuration
    Pointer Pointer/mouse configuration
    The old XInput section is no longer recognised
    I'm not sure how valid this is but this has some tips of "Individual screens"

http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/standard-...dual-monitors/

Honestly, since nvidia perfected twinview, I haven't bothered to use any other setup. Unless you're setting up a true dual-seat install, I can't see any advantage to having two screens that I can't slide windows across.

Please Read Me

Comment

The nvidia setting or config set up the xorg.conf even in 367. And most of the instructions, even the link above show when doing the nvidia settings to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then if the xorg.conf exists the problems starting the screens shows up.

Comment

You're more than welcome to set up your system any way you want. If you decide to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf it will be removed by the system each time you update the nvidia drivers, which is why I tried to point you in a better direction. Ubuntu doesn't use xorg.conf in the old way any longer (since 14.04 that I'm aware of) even if other distros might, Just because you found a post or web page where someone did it that way doesn't make it the correct or best way, but have at it. Good luck.

Please Read Me

Comment

Let's try the long version.

I had problems with monitor set up so I found a few web pages on how to get the latest nvidia drivers.

I followed all the instructions on those pages.

One of those instructions created a xorg.conf file. (I believe it was nividia-xconfig.)

So either that program is in 16.04 or in the packages for the latest nvidia drivers (367).

In addition, a lot of the pages including the example link above shows quite clearly that "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is where you should store the information from the nvidia settings. References to /etc/X11/xorg.conf are even found on the ubuntu binary driver how to pages, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia which were updated on 23rd July 2016.

Basic users that may not have used ubuntu or may not know that ubuntu has abandoned the normally requested xorg.conf from those pages, will run into the same problems if they follow the step by step instructions to get the newest nvidia drivers.

They will most likely run into the problem that, if a xorg.conf files exists in /etc/X11, there will be problems (one blank screen, one normal screen).

Knowing that there have been several posts about dual monitors here already for the 16.04 version, I thought it would be a good idea to put in this post that if you followed those instructions you may run into the exact same problems I did. That way when the next person searches for monitor problems, they might just see this and be able to get a good idea on how to fix the problem.
          Last edited by therelic; Jul 28, 2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X