This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount 2nd and 3rd hard drive at startup

In Dolphin, in the left side panel under devices, my hard drives are visible. They do work, I can browse through the folders, I'm not having any permission issues. The problem I'm having is that I have to first open Dolphin and click on the hard drives before they can be used by GIMP. If I forget and open GIMP first, GIMP can't load the brushes or fonts stored on the 2nd hard drive.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Is this a "feature," like a power saving thing?

Here is my fstab -

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=3dd781c2-76ff-4b25-ba7b-0219099d07a3 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=aec62e39-a897-43fc-930a-20da0c3b6b01 none            swap    sw              0       0

#UUID=b0ef4b51-acaf-4b46-a13a-efe53957dd40                   ext4    defaults    0    2

#UUID=c02bdb95-bfb3-4846-a499-e016ce1009dd                   ext4    defaults    0    2
    As you can see I've begun to create entries for sdb1 and sdc1, but I've commented them out because I'm not sure what to put for the mount point.

It seems like they must have a current mount point. In Dolphin they show up under /media/jeremy/(hard drive name). But when I opened fstab there was only an entry for sda1 and sda5. I'm not sure how sdb1 an sdc1 are working at all with no entries in fstab, but they are.

Without entries in /etc/fstab, these two other HDDs are not being mounted during boot. They are, however, mounted when you select them via Dolphin; this is normal behavior. IF you want them auto-mounted during boot, then adding an entry for each in /etc/fstab IS what you need to do.

A mount point must already exist onto which the drive will be mounted. What you name these mount points is completely up to you (avoid spaces in the names; makes things a lot less complicated). I would personally create the mount points in your users home directory: /home/jeremy/mountpointname1 and /home/jeremy/mountpointname2, where mountpointname1 and mountpointname2 are what you want them to be. But, creating the mount points in /media is a normal practice.

See AutomaticallyMountPartitions
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can have KDE mount a hard drive, as if a removable drive, on KDE login.

At the moment, until I sort out proper mount points on this new install, that is the option I used.

No having to open and click in dolphin to mount, as long as you have logged into KDE.

e.g. in systemsettings

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

IMO, generally speaking /media should be reserved for removable media. Fixed media should have a fixed mounting location. WHERE you mount the drives is less important than mounting them in a place that makes sense to you.

Again generally speaking, /mnt is the "proper" place to mount other drives but if someplace else makes sense to you, mount them elsewhere.

I have several drives/partitions/network shares that I use for various purposes so they're all mounted in different places. My network share from my server is mounted at /shared, a hard drive that I use for backups is mounted at /backups, a partition I use for virtual box installs is mounted at /mnt/vm_drive. These locations make sense to me and fit my usage patterns.

If you're the only user of your system and/or only you will be access them why not mount them in your home? On the other hand, if you are rarely going to access these extra drives why mount them at all. Let Dolphin mount them under /media when you need them.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a second hard drive where I keep videos, music, and the like. This is what my /etc/fstab file looks like with the second drive mounted to /home/multimedia:

Code:
           # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
          # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
          # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
          #
          # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
          # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
          UUID=551ad2b2-8c97-40bd-a3ca-02593db8c29d /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
          # /home was on /dev/sda2 during installation
          UUID=aa60447f-f2d2-45b4-bb4e-f3b2305f5f24 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
          [B]# /home/multimedia was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
          UUID=434cdc90-5a63-4240-96c7-861fdb2e6aed /home/multimedia ext4    defaults        0       2[/B] 
          # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
          UUID=3e7fff08-cf1c-491d-b349-bb9f9c7aa990 none            swap    sw              0       0
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
          X