Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any working remote desktop solutions for KDE5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any working remote desktop solutions for KDE5?

My goto desktop solutions, Chrome Remote Desktop and x2go, don't work with KDE5.

Is anyone aware of a working remote desktop solution that works for KDE 5?

You might want to take a look at Teamviewer
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Teamviewer is excellent, but with one caveat, which doesn't matter if you use it a lot and keep it in your system tray for potential or future logins. However, if you close it and quit it from the system tray its daemon, teamviewerd, will remain as a service. What it is doing when the GUI and system tray icon are closed is any body's guess. If you are concerned you might want to write a small script which disables the daemon when you are finished using it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Are KRDC/KRFB not working?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Are KRDC/KRFB not working?
          https://userbase.kde.org/Krfb

It has some problems. The host must open a hole in their firewall for port forwarding on 5900. There is no concurrent audio connection so both parties must use a speaker phone or get creaks in their necks, and no file transfer capability, so other means must be used. No group capability. It works OK on the the same subnet (192.168.*.*) but in my experience it is too slow over the Internet.

TeamViewer, on the other hand, is browser based, is relatively quick, activates both the mic and webcam, if needed, allows simultaneous bi-directional file transfer, and the paid version has a "Hangout" conference capability, but I don't remember the limit on the number of participants.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 22, 2016, 08:46 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, I went and looked at it. Looks pretty complete for free software and multi-platform. Seems an obvious better choice.

Please Read Me

Comment

A great app, but the only thing I don't like is when you shut everything down, including the systray icon, it leaves a daemon in services. Why? Spy? I kill the daemon when I quit the app.

Comment

Working...
              X