Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOLPHIN plus SAMBA equals PITA. Access to Windows shares the ''proper'' way.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOLPHIN plus SAMBA equals PITA. Access to Windows shares the ''proper'' way.

I know this is an old/common issue but all my searching finds is people wanting to avoid password entry. That's not what I'm after.

Windows 7 and 8 Pro clients with shared folders.

I can access the entire user filesystem on the Win 7 Pro machine by using the IP address like

smb://192.168.1.105

This prompted me for a username and password, which I stored. I then drilled down to the folder I wanted to see and I have access. So I saved the location in Places, no problem.

However, in Dolphin, there's a nice little icon labeled "Network." With it I can see all the Windows/Samba enabled PCs on my network. My server pops right up as does my Router share, but all the Windows PCs just "spin" and eventually timeout, even though I can access the share using the direct IP.

I launched Dolphin to see if any errors showed. Only these were shown and repeated:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]org.kde.dolphin: URL= QUrl("smb://workgroup/")  charset= "Other encoding ()"[/COLOR]
    org.kde.dolphin: could not find entry for charset= "Other encoding ()"
    org.kde.dolphin: URL= QUrl("smb://carney@192.168.1.105/Users/Carney")  charset= "Other encoding ()"
    org.kde.dolphin: could not find entry for charset= "Other encoding ()"[/FONT]
    These don't look important to me.

However, in syslog every time I click a step in the Network part of Dolphin, I see messages like these:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Mar 29 10:01:36 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 0[/COLOR]
    Mar 29 10:01:37 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 69206021
    Mar 29 10:01:37 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 0
    Mar 29 10:01:39 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "anonymous" , WindowId = 0
    Mar 29 10:01:39 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "anonymous" , WindowId = 69206021
    Mar 29 10:01:49 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 0[/FONT]
    and this is what shows when I click on the Windows 7 machine under Network > Samba Shares > Workgroup > <MACHINE_NAME>

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Mar 29 10:05:09 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: message repeated 16 times: [ org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 0][/COLOR]
    Mar 29 10:05:15 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 69206021
    Mar 29 10:05:15 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "stuart" , WindowId = 0
    Mar 29 10:05:17 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "anonymous" , WindowId = 69206021
    Mar 29 10:05:17 office org.kde.kpasswdserver[2124]: org.kde.kio.kpasswdserver: User = "anonymous" , WindowId = 0[/FONT]
    So the number must be meaningful (to someone... I hope)

My desire would be that Dolphin would prompt me for the username and password via the Network icon path. It seems to be giving my Linux username and/or anonymous instead of prompting me.

Please Read Me

I just did this ,,,,,, and it worked just fine , got the password prompt after clicking the PC's name , enterd the user and password and got the top level of shaired folers .

I did half to wait about 5 min for the windows box to be accessible after starting it however.

I have NOT tried saving a location in dolphins places and then re-trying the procedure .

Neon-/dev/stabel repo added to Kubuntu 16.04.

KDE-5.33.0

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not necessarily your issue here but may help and has on most issues I have similar to yours. A lot has to do with how M$ changed the paradigm on file shares and access for their OS.

https://tommynation.com/enable-remot...es-windows-10/

Comment

Yeah, see the problem here is: Dolphin is NOT prompting me for username/password even though Windows isn't blocking access at all. I really don't want Windows to allow anonymous access, I jut want Dolphin to ask for credentials.

So I'm not seeing what Vinny is, and I can log onto the Windows machine if I use smb://<WINDOWS IP> but I want Dolphin to work correctly instead.

Please Read Me

Comment

I wonder why it isn't prompting? I just checked here with a few Windows systems at work and I was prompted for UN/PW. Got me curious now. If I find anything I'll let you know.

That is with the machine name and not IP too.

Comment

Working...
          X