This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using too much ram?

I have searched many forums to try to understand this but I'm still confused.

I am using 4.4.0-66-generic kernel...

Here is the output of free -m...

total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 7983 1511 5580 46 890 6148
    Swap: 8189 0 8189

System monitor says I am using a around over 1.2 GiB as soon as I boot into KDE. With a browser and some music playing Iam at 1.6 GiB and it can climb up to around 2. I am using Kubuntu 16.04

It doesn't really seem to matter which flavor of Ubuntu I use either. Mate and XFCE start out under or around 800 but begin to climb as well, same with unity and GNOME starts to get around 2.5 with a browser and few small apps open (gedit, terminal, etc.). 14.04 Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors didn't seem to use nearly as much. A fresh install of Win10 on this PC reported that I was using about 1gb of ram but I didn't install any drivers or use it much to see how much it would increase. Fedora 23 KDE (liveCD) version didn't seem to use quite so much. I looked at a few windows computers around here and they all seemed to be using 1-1.5 gb. An ubuntu 14.04 laptop seemed to idle around a little over 600 and increase to 1gb with a few programs open.

I was running Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 some time back and saw how much ram it was using and I went a little nuts. I've been a Kubuntu user for a long time, Kubuntu 14.04 seemed to run significantly better but I don't want to down grade because I like the new KDE and my webcam works a little better in the newer LTS version.

Am I using too much RAM?

The amount of RAM in use is not a valid indicator of how well said RAM is being utilized. There is a (common) misconception that lower RAM usage is a 'good thing' and that higher RAM usage is a 'bad thing' when running Linux. Conventionally, in Linux, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

How well is your system running? Is it responsive? Those are questions that one should be paying attention to.

Oh, and not to forget: Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Like Mozart said, "There just as many notes as required, not one too many nor one too few". So it is with your RAM. Your system and apps will use what they need when they need it. IF you have a small amount of RAM then they'll treat SWAP as RAM and use it. IF you don't have a SWAP partition then your applications will be paged out and in as needed, which WILL run slower than if you used SWAP and much slower than if you had sufficient RAM.

Generally, each CPU on the CPU die has a "thread" which applications use while running. Eight core = eight threads, etc... Some Intel CPUs have hyper-threading which allows the OS to see twice as many logical cores (threads) as physical cores. Some applications create one thread (single threading) and some create more than one thread (multiple threading). Obviously, multi-threading applications usually run faster than single thread applications.
      And, with multi-threading disabled some applications run faster, generally because the developer doesn't understand how to correctly utilize threads. CPU vendors often create proprietary thread technology, which restricts some coders ability to modify or manipulate the "thread of execution"

Linux uses the IEEE POSIX 1003.1c standard (1995). Implementations adhering to this standard are referred to as POSIX threads, or Pthreads. Most hardware vendors now offer Pthreads in addition to their proprietary thread API's.

Linux also has a "nice", a feature which lets the user determine the priority an application has in the execution cue. A process with a lower niceness value is given higher priority and more CPU time. A process with a higher niceness value (a "nicer" process) is given a lower priority and less CPU time, freeing up resources for processes which are more demanding. So, you can speed up some processes and slow down others, depending on YOUR priorities. After you open KSysguard list the processes and click on the CPU column head. That sorts the column according to the percentage of CPU time used. If you are not seeing percentages then click on the column head again. If you see a process that is taking up a lot of CPU time and slowing down what you are trying to do you can change its "niceness" by right clicking on it. Then click on "Set Priority" to get a GUI dialog which will let you adjust it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

browser tabs are ram suckers, but as mentioned already, unused ram in Linux is wasted ram.

On my laptop, (Neon user edition ) with a number of programs running, including FF (2 tabs) and Chrome (5 tabs) for my typical usage:
        (I don't know why I put 16gb in this laptop, other than I could and it was on sale, lol

Code:
        jake@jake-Latitude-E6420:~$ free -m
                      total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
        Mem:          15925        2053       10778         297        3094       13155
        Swap:          3999           0        3999
        After closing FF:
        j
        Code:
        ake@jake-Latitude-E6420:~$ free -m
        Mem:          15925        1791       11074         267        3059       13446
        After closing Chrome:
        Code:
        Mem:          15925        1293       11682         170        2949       14044
        After closing Kontact:
        Code:
        Mem:          15925        1184       11840         122        2901       14203
        After closing irc client and other small apps
        Code:
        Mem:          15925        1110       11974         108        2841       14291
        I suspect not only browsers gobbling up more of the ram these days, but also the small background bits adding up to make a small but noticeable difference from 14.04, such as added and improved services, systemd, and the like

I often see my ram usage go down to the low 900 range even with a browser tabor two open.
        Last edited by claydoh; Mar 15, 2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X