This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu certified laptops

Does Kubuntu maintain a list of laptops, hardware that is known to work with Kubuntu without any problems?

If it does not, then I have a polite request to everybody who is not having any compatibility problems with this system to share their hardware configuration.

Have you seen the KDE Slimbook? Otherwise, the Ubuntu Desktop Certification Program might be of value to you. Since Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, things should go pretty smoothly. Finally, System76 sells laptops that run Ubuntu (and therefore are comparable with Kubuntu). Many choices abound.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Ubuntu Certified devices are unfortunately only devices with special, preinstalled version of Ubuntu. There are no images available for download, for this reason I doubt they will work without problems with Kubuntu. KDE Slimbook seems interesting. However I've been looking for some typical laptop I can get in every shop and simply install Kubuntu on it...

Comment

Incompatible hardware is a rarity with Linux these days.

I've installed Kubuntu on a number of HP business class laptops (HP Elitebook 6910p, 6930p, 8460p, 8560p) without any issues at all.

Dell will install Ubuntu on new laptops if you ask them to do that in preference to installing Windows. If a system runs Ubuntu without problems it also means Kubuntu should be the same.

You might be interested in the following:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29758...ith-linux.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/185286/how...top-for-linux/
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

From my experience I got an impression that hardware compatible with Linux is a rarity. I had my hands on a few laptops that had problems with Linux Live and unfortunately Kubuntu was most problematic out of Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Mint that I tried.

But even if Live CD works perfectly problems appear later, after installation. I've been working on HP ProBook 6570b for a few years with Kubuntu installed and its WiFi (b43) used to stop working on every second software update (typical update, not distribution upgrade). After last distribution upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10 initially system could not even boot due to problems with partition mounting and now after working around these problems kernel goes into recursive exception on every second boot and reboot is required... I will not mention periodic crashes of Plasma that I have been observing for years.

Anyway thanks for all the links.

Comment

Yes, alas WiFi can be a problematic area in Linux.

You have to realise the manufacturers aren't falling over themselves to make suitable drivers for us Linux people, there's just not enough incentive for them to do that (yet, anyway). So, either the driver the manufacturer provides (if any) is buggy and/or lacking in features or quite often drivers have to be reverse engineered by Linux developers themselves.

It's hard to get 100% Linux hardware compatibility under the present circumstances but we do pretty well I think. For myself, I'm willing to put up with some slight problems here and there in Linux rather than be lumbered with Windows security issues and being bogged down with the overhead of all the anti-virus/malware claptrap required on that platform.

Freedom does come with a (small) price I guess.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I've been running Kubuntu since Jan of 2009, and I have yet to see it fail on hardware that wasn't defective. Even "secure boot" and UEFI failed to prevent Kubuntu (Linux) from installing.

I've put Kubuntu on Dell's, HP's, Toshiba's, ASUS and others. Acers are pretty much a guarantee of compatibility. I've used an Acer since 2008. Since then I've installed Kubuntu on dozens of laptops of various makes and models without a single failure. This week a friend asked me to put on his newly received Acer Aspire E15 what I put on his older Acer, KDE Neon User Edition. Best version of KDE running, IMO. This laptops is an Acer aspire-v3-771 with an NVidia GT 650M secondary GPU. Bumblebee & optiprime were nearly useless. Neon configured that 650M as the primary GPU and it runs seamlessly and faultlessly. Includes the NVidia configuration tools, too.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 16, 2017, 10:58 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

CRaP

JUIST CRAP

IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY

wHEN...

a human...

POLITICALLYH INCORRECT ...

DECIDES THAT TRANS/SHE/HE/IT/ CAN MAKE MONEY THEN SOMETHING

other than apple or billgatesmoneymachine will...

make ...IT HE SHE IT...mone

":Linux" is what people can pont to an day I supoort that...what a joke...

LINUJX PEOPLE DO NOT PUIT./...

ONE/...

ONE..

dollar kroneg p[eso whatever chump change...

If ...EVERYU

It

that "supportrs" Linux...

SENT ONE FUSHIENFD THINGto their POLITICALLY CORRECT MY DISTRO

Linux

WOULD SWAM{ microshaft and appul

Linux do not walk the walk

in the sh=t we walked the walk...EVIL MILITAry

did you SEND ONE DAMNED DOLLAR TO LINUX TODAY?

you YOU...WANT...to play the victim card

woodthrewacesonthebodiessmoek...and yuu thought i was a woos

smoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LINUX PEOP>Le LOVE P{Laying the victim card
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

i dont have long but will post a spin
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Just like being back in the old neighborhood again!
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                        i dont have long but will post a spin

Did you draw the short straw?
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X